Thursday, June 29, 2017

Wenckebach, or type I second-degree AV block

A 62-year-old man with coronary artery disease (CAD) presents with presyncope. His physical examination is normal except for bradycardia (pulse 56 beats/min) and an irregular pulse. The electrocardiogram (ECG) shows Wenckebach’s type atrioventricular (AV) block.

Which of the following are you most likely to see on the ECG?
(A) progressive PR shortening
(B) progressive lengthening of the PR interval
(C) tachycardia
(D) dropped beat after PR lengthening
(E) fixed 2:1 block

Answer: (D) dropped beat after PR lengthening



Discussion:
Wenckebach, or type I second-degree AV block, is characterized on ECG by progressive
lengthening of the PR interval until there is a non conducted P wave. The magnitude of PR lengthening declines with each beat, so the RR intervals characteristically shorten prior to the dropped beat. It is almost always caused by abnormal conduction across the AV node, and the QRS complex is usually of normal duration.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, this is fascinating reading. I am glad I found this and got to read it. Great job on this content. I liked it a lot. Thanks for the great and unique info. novelty diploma review

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need a longer strip I think. I agree there is progressive PR lengthening but the 4th P wave is non-existant with no evidence of it buried in the T wave. Each cycle lengthens by 80ms so we should see the P. I think there could be wencheback AV block plus a mobitz 2 sinoatrial exit block here, but need a full 12 lead to confirm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis   

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS) Every Year Publishes Textbooks for Class 6th Students, KVS Class 6 Textbooks 2021 are well known for it’s updated and Thoroughly revised Syllabus. KVS 6th Class Split up Syllabus The KVS Books are based on the Latest Exam Pattern and Syllabus.Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan Provides, the Class 6 Text books in both the offline and Online Pdf format at official website.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for Sharing Helpful Blog, Native Organica - Best Organic products, vegetables & fruits online in Delhi, Gurgaon, Faridabad & Noida. Best products & price guaranteed. Cash on delivery available. Native Organica offers staple food products which can guarantee a healthier lifestyle for you and your family and avoid the unseen damage of using popular but unhealthy products in the current market. Also Read - Buy Organic Food Online in Gurgaon and Organic Food Store in Gurgaon


    ReplyDelete