Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Management Of Superficial Thrombophlebitis



A 65-year-old woman presents with painful, red skin on the inside of her thigh. This has developed over the past 4-5 days and has not happened before. She is normally fit and well and no past medical history of note other than depression.
On examination she has erythematous, tender skin on the medial aspect of her right thigh consistent with the long saphenous vein. The vein is palpable and cord-like. There is no associated swelling of the right calf and no history of chest pain or dyspnoea.
Heart rate is 84/min and her temperature is 37 C.

What is the most appropriate management?

A. Prescribe an oral NSAID
B. Prescribe a topical NSAID
C. Refer for an ultrasound scan
D. Prescribe a topical heparinoid
E. Prescribe an oral NSAID and oral flucloxacillin

Answer:
C. Refer for an ultrasound scan

Discussion : It is recommended to refer patients with long saphenous vein superficial thrombophlebitis for an ultrasound scan to exclude an underlying DVT.

Superficial Thrombophlebitis 
Superficial thrombophlebitis, as the name suggests describes the inflammation associated with thrombosis of one of the superficial veins, usually the long saphenous vein of the leg.
This process is usually non-infective in nature but secondary bacterial infection may rarely occur resulting in septic thrombophlebitis. Around 20% with superficial thrombophlebitis will have an underlying deep vein thrombosis (DVT) at presentation and 3-4% of patients will progress to a DVT if untreated.
The risk of DVT is partly linked to the length of vein affected - an inflammed vein > 5 cm is more likely to have an associated DVT.

Management 
There are currently a variety of treatment approaches to superficial thrombophlebitis.

  • Traditionally NSAIDs have been used, with topical NSAIDs for limited and mild disease and oral NSAIDs for more severe disease. 
  • Topical heparinoids have also be used in the management of superficial thrombophlebitis.

A Cochrane review however found topical NSAIDs and heparinoids have no significant benefit in terms of reducing extension or progression to DVT. Oral NSAIDs were however shown to reduce the risk of extension by 67%.

Compression stockings are also used. Remember that the ankle-brachial pressure index (ABPI) should be measured before prescribing compression stockings, particularly if using class 2 or above stockings.

One of the major changes to the management of superficial thrombophlebitis is the increased use of low-molecular weight heparin. This has been shown to reduce extension and transformation to DVT.

SIGN produced guidelines in 2010: Patients with clinical signs of superficial thrombophlebitis affecting the proximal long saphenous vein should have an ultrasound scan to exclude concurrent DVT.
 Patients with superficial thrombophlebitis should have anti-embolism stockings and can be considered for treatment with prophylactic doses of LMWH for up to 30 days or fondaparinux for 45 days.
 If LMWH is contraindicated, 8-12 days of oral NSAIDS should be offered. Patients with superficial thrombophlebitis at, or extending towards, the sapheno-femoral junction can be considered for therapeutic anticoagulation for 6-12 weeks. This may be a significant departure from our current practice - the majority of patients with superficial thrombophlebitis (i.e. those affecting the long saphenous vein) should be referred for an ultrasound scan.

6 comments:

  1. 6 months ago I was diagnosed with COPD with 55-60% lung capacity. My doctor just said all the crying , stomping your feet will not change it so just accept it and basically patted me on the back and sent me home to die. I was devastated and was afraid to do anything. I stopped riding my bike, I was afraid to do anything that would cause any exertion. It consumed my thoughts with every breath and the fear of what to expect was almost more than I could deal with. So I couldn't get myself all time I decided to find a herbal cure online and I came acrose Doctor Itua on how he cure several people suffering from Hiv, and Herpes I gave him a call on this Number +2348149277967 also chat on whatsapp he gave me all the details about the cure i paid him for the medicine after 5 working days i receieve my herbal medicine ,I use it for two weeks that is how I get Cured and today I'm living healthy and fine I give him thanks also promise him to testify about his work,He Can also cure the following deseases..Copd,Herpes,Hiv,Hepatitis,diabetes,Asthma.
    Contact...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Herpes is a Terrible Disease, I am here today to appreciate the good work of Dr OMOLOWA who helping me curing my Herpes 1/2 Disease, I contacted the virus from my Boyfriend, i found out he was cheating on me, so i broke up with him, 1 month later i went to test myself in the hospital when i was seeing sore on my mouth and Private areas, i was diagnosed of Herpes 1/2. i tried using the acyclovir medicine but it didn't help in curing it, i went on a search and found out Dr OMOLOWA curing people illness, and so i got his email dr.omolowa@gmail.com and i was told how i can get his Herbal Medicine days later i received his medicine after using it for 2 weeks i was tested again and was confirm negative,i have be finally healed behold it was True, So friends my advise is if you have such sickness or any other at all you can contact and he also cure COPD, CANCER, DIABETES, HEPATITIS B, HIV... And more Whatsapp +2347014035034 

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I have been married for 20 years now. We were happily married with two kids, a boy and a girl. few months ago, I started to notice some strange behavior from him and a few weeks later I found out that my husband is seeing someone. He started coming home late from work, he hardly care about me or the kids anymore, Sometimes he goes out and doesn't even come back home for about 2-3 days. I did all I could to rectify this problem but all to no avail. I became very worried and needed help. As I was browsing through the Internet one day, I came across a website that suggested that Dr jeffrey can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he did a spell for me. Two days later, my husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I and my family are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr jeffrey . If you need a spell caster that can cast a spell that truly works, I suggest you contact him. He will not disappoint you. This is his E-mail:

    dctrjeffrey@gmail.com

    WhatsApp +2348162061202

    ReplyDelete
  4. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis   

    ReplyDelete
  5. https://www.edplus.in/mbbs-in-abroad/

    Studying MBBS in Abroad
    Over 20,000 people around the globe prefer MBBS Study in Abroad. And the number of students who are willing to Study MBBS in Abroad 2021 is skyrocketing with numerous Advantages of Studying MBBS in Abroad. Here, we’ve got you covered everything you need to know about the Advantages of Studying MBBS Abroad. Many people who dream of seeing themselves in the white coat are high

    ReplyDelete