Wednesday, June 7, 2017

A Patient Presents With Overdose of Ferrous sulfate..



A 32-yr -old man presents to A&E following a deliberate overdose of an unknown quantity of ferrous sulphate. Which of the following statements is true concerning the symptoms and management of this Patient?

A. Early GI features of toxicity are due to systemic iron concentrations
B. Dissolved tablets are radio-opaque before absorption
C. Initial hyperglycaemia indicates significant ingestion
D. Serum iron concentrations of 100 μmol/l are usually asymptomatic
E. Activated charcoal is useful in early presenting Pts

Answer:
C--Initial hyperglycaemia indicates significant ingestion

Discussion: Undissolved iron tablets are radio-opaque. Early features are due to the direct corrosive effects of iron and include vomiting, diarrhea and GI bleeding. Typically, there is then a latent phase of up to 24 hours when the patient is asymptomatic, which is then followed by widespread organ failure. In aptients who recover, there may be long-term strictures due to the initial corrosive effects of iron. Activated charcoal will not adsorb iron since it is a metal. Patients with serum iron concentrations over 90 μmol/l, as well as those with signs of severe toxicity, require chelation therapy with desferrioxamine.

Initial hyperglycaemia can occur in significant ingestions, but hypoglycaemia can be seen in cases of severe poisoning with associated hepatic failure.

3 comments:

  1. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis   

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete