Thursday, June 29, 2017

Bell's palsy...

Two weeks after a viral illness, a 9-year-old boy presents to your clinic with a complaint of several days of weakness of his mouth. In addition to the drooping of the left side of his mouth, you note that he is unable to completely shut his left eye. His smile is asymmetric, but his examination is otherwise normal.
Which of the following is the most likely diagnosis?
a. Guillain-Barré syndrome
b. Botulism
c. Cerebral vascular accident
d. Brainstem tumor
e. Bell palsy

Answer: e. Bell palsy

Discussion:

Bell palsy is an acute, unilateral facial nerve palsy that begins about 2 weeks after a viral infection. Although the exact pathophysiology is unknown, reactivation of herpes simplex or varicella-zoster virus seems to be the most common cause; demyelination through an autoimmune process or allergic inflammation may also play a part in some cases. On the affected side, the upper and lower face are typically paretic, the mouth droops, and the patient cannot close the eye.


Treatment consists of maintaining moisture to the affected eye (especially at night) to prevent keratitis.

Complete, spontaneous resolution occurs in about 85% of cases, 10% of cases have mild residual disease, and about 5% of cases do not resolve.

Occasionally infants will have facial nerve palsy at birth; this is usually related to compression from forceps and spontaneously resolves over several weeks. As this is a compression neuropathy, it should not be called congenital Bell palsy.

When evaluating a facial weakness, special care must be taken to evaluate the movement of the forehead. A peripheral facial neuropathy like Bell palsy will cause upper and lower facial weakness on the affected side. However, a central facial palsy will spare the forehead due to bilateral innervation.

4 comments:

  1. Ginger is one of the most used Herbal Remedy for  Bell’s Palsy Herbal Treatment  in India as part of their cuisine. It has anti-inflammatory properties which are decreasing the symptoms caused by Bell’s palsy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis   

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr James is truly a herbalist doctor who cured me of HIV,that I contacted last year February, I was so worried about the virus inside of me,when I went to the hospital and I was tested positive, I took different drugs and injection still I wasn't cured, till I came across someone who sheared a testimony on how she was cured of HIV from doctor James herbal mix,I thought it was a lie,but I picked up interest and contacted Dr James on his email,( drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com) And told him my problem and he asked me some questions and I answered then he said I should not worry that he's going to help me,and cure my HIV.I was so happy.2 days later he sent me the cure through DHL courier service, I started using the medicine morning and evening as he prescribed for me for 3 weeks,as I went for my monthly check up I was tested HIV negative I was so happy and joy overwhelmed for been free from HIV.I'm sharing this testimony because I know how hard it was for me sleeping and thinking everyday about being HIV positive I nearly got myself killed but This great man Dr James restored my health back. I know there are still people out here with HIV positive or any kind of diseases like Herpes virus,Bell Palsy, Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s,Parkinson's disease,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease, Diabetes ,Cardiac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicitySyndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Lupus.
    ,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer, HIV, Herpes,Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid,Contact Dr James on his email and get cured.drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com WhatsApp +2348152855846.

    ReplyDelete