Thursday, June 15, 2017

A 38 year old woman presents with dysuria and fever...



A 38-year-old female presents complaining of urgency, frequency, and dysuria. She is found to have a temperature of 38°C (102 F), no flank pain, and a urinalysis positive for nitrites and leukocyte esterase. 

Which of the following is the most appropriate treatment regimen?

A. Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole DS bid for 3 days
B. Norfloxacin 400 mg PO bid for 7 to 14 days
C. Ciprofloxacin 250 mg PO bid for 5 days
D. Trimethoprim 300 mg PO every day for 3 to 5 days
E. Amoxicillin 500 mg PO bid for 10 days

Answer : B. Norfloxacin 400 mg PO bid for 7 to 14 days

Discussion: The first thing to realize is that this does not meet the requirements for an uncomplicated cystitis (UTI). The patient has a fever of 102°F and thus by definition needs to be treated as an uncomplicated pyelonephritis. Due to the high rates of resistance to amoxicillin, it is no longer a recommended treatment. There is also increasing resistance to sulfonamides and trimethoprim sulfamethoxazole. The recommended initial oral agent for uncomplicated pyelonephritis (prior to knowing the resistance pattern) is a fluoroquinalone (usually ciprofloxacin, levo-floxacin). For the uncomplicated UTI you can choose between a short course therapy of 3 days and the longer therapy of 7 days. Older patients and women with recurrent history of UTIs need the longer regimen. Although the duration of treatment for a complicated UTI is controversial, most experts would favor a course of at least 7 to 14 days

2 comments:

  1. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis   

    ReplyDelete