Monday, June 12, 2017

Leak Around Endotracheal tube In A 6 year Old child



A six-year-old child is intubated with a size 4.5 mm ID endotracheal tube. Following intubation, there is a large leak of air around the tube, audible at the
mouth.
What is the most clinically significant effect of endotracheal intubation with a tube that is too small?
 Select ONE answer only:
A. Environmental pollution of anaesthetic gases
B. High gas flow consumption
C. Imprecise capnography
D. Increased risk of pulmonary aspiration
E. Unreliable ventilation and oxygenation

Answer:
E. Unreliable ventilation and oxygenation.

Discussion: An uncuffed endotracheal tube that is too small results in an air leak around the tube. While large air leaks cause all of the effects listed, it is unreliable ventilation and oxygenation that is
immediately relevant to the patient. This is a particular problem when the airway resistance is high, e.g. in bronchiolitis, as high airway resistance tends to increase the size of the leak and makes adequate ventilation difficult.

3 comments:

  1. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis   

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are the Exporter of Endotracheal Tube.
    Please visit us - https://www.maisindia.com/endotracheal-tube

    ReplyDelete