Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Regarding Bell's palsy...



A 42-year-old woman presents as she has noticed a 'droop' in the right side of her face since she woke up this morning. There is no associated limb weakness, dysphagia or visual disturbance. On examination you notice right-sided upper and lower facial paralysis.

Which one of the following features would be most consistent with a diagnosis of Bell's palsy?
A. Vesicular rash around the ear
B. Hyperacusis
C. Sensory loss over the distribution of the facial nerve
D. Pins and needles in the right arm
E. Rhinorrhoea

Answer:
B. Hyperacusis

Discussion: A vesicular rash around the ear would suggest a diagnosis of Ramsey Hunt syndrome. Hyperacusis is seen in around a third of patients with Bells palsy

Bell's palsy may be defined as an acute, unilateral, idiopathic, facial nerve paralysis.

The etiology is unknown although the role of the herpes simplex virus has been investigated previously.

The peak incidence is 20-40 years and the condition is more common in pregnant women.

Clinical Features
 lower motor neuron facial nerve palsy - forehead affected
 patients may also notice post-auricular pain (may precede paralysis), altered taste, dry eyes, and hyperacusis

Management
 in the past a variety of treatment options have been proposed including no treatment, prednisolone only and a combination of aciclovir and prednisolone
 following a National Institute for Health randomized controlled trial it is now recommended that prednisolone 1mg/kg for 10 days should be prescribed for patients within 72 hours of onset of Bell's palsy. Adding in aciclovir gives no additional benefit
 eye care is important - prescription of artificial tears and eye lubricants should be considered

Prognosis
 if untreated around 15% of patients have permanent moderate to severe weakness

3 comments:

  1. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis   

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr James is truly a herbalist doctor who cured me of HIV,that I contacted last year February, I was so worried about the virus inside of me,when I went to the hospital and I was tested positive, I took different drugs and injection still I wasn't cured, till I came across someone who sheared a testimony on how she was cured of HIV from doctor James herbal mix,I thought it was a lie,but I picked up interest and contacted Dr James on his email,( drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com) And told him my problem and he asked me some questions and I answered then he said I should not worry that he's going to help me,and cure my HIV.I was so happy.2 days later he sent me the cure through DHL courier service, I started using the medicine morning and evening as he prescribed for me for 3 weeks,as I went for my monthly check up I was tested HIV negative I was so happy and joy overwhelmed for been free from HIV.I'm sharing this testimony because I know how hard it was for me sleeping and thinking everyday about being HIV positive I nearly got myself killed but This great man Dr James restored my health back. I know there are still people out here with HIV positive or any kind of diseases like Herpes virus,Bell Palsy, Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s,Parkinson's disease,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease, Diabetes ,Cardiac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicitySyndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Lupus.
    ,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer, HIV, Herpes,Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid,Contact Dr James on his email and get cured.drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com WhatsApp +2348152855846.

    ReplyDelete