Wednesday, June 28, 2017

A 25-year-old, generally healthy woman comes to the office with burning on urination...



A 25-year-old, generally healthy woman comes to the office with burning on urination. There are 50 white cells on the urinalysis.

What is the next best step in management?
a. Wait for results of urine culture.
b. Obtain urine culture.
c. Treat with TMP/SMX for 3 days.
d. Treat with ciprofloxacin for 7 days.
e. Perform a renal ultrasound.

Answer:
c. Treat with TMP/SMX for 3 days.

Discussion: When there are clear symptoms of cystitis and white cells in the urine, it is not necessary to obtain a urine culture or to wait for results of either the culture or a sonogram. For uncomplicated cystitis, go straight to treatment for 3 days.

Ultrasound is important in male patients, as it is unusual for a male patient to have a urinary tract
infection in the absence of an anatomic abnormality.

2 comments:

  1. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis   

    ReplyDelete