Sunday, October 23, 2016

Regarding Overdose With Antidepressants....



1. A 20-year-old female presents to the ED with an overdose. She has a history of depression, and there were empty bottles found at her bedside. The bottles had contained clonazepam and nortriptyline. The patient is unconscious with diminished breathing and is unable to protect her own airway.
The BEST next step is to:
A) Intubate the patient.
B) Begin gastric lavage and administer charcoal.
C) Administer flumazenil, a benzodiazepine antagonist,
to awaken her and improve her respirations.
D) Administer bicarbonate.
E) Any of the above.

Answer and Discussion

The correct answer is “A.” This patient should be intubated.

Remember in any emergency situation that the ABCs (airway, breathing, and circulation) are the priority.

“B” is incorrect because, patients who are lavaged have a higher incidence of pulmonary aspiration—an even greater concern in the obtunded patient. In fact, airway protection is MANDATORY before undertaking lavage.

“C” is incorrect. Flumazenil will reverse the benzodiazepine. However, we know from experience that seizures in patients who have had flumazenil are particularly difficult to control. This would be particularly problematic in a patient with a mixed overdose, such as with a tricyclic, where seizures are common. Thus, it is recommended that flumazenil be used only as a reversal agent after procedural sedation in patients who are not on chronic benzodiazepines.

2. You notice that the patient begins to have an abnormal ECG tracing.
Which of the following findings would you expect to find in a tricyclic overdose?
A) Normal QRS complex.
B) Second- and third-degree heart block.
C) Widened QRS complex.
D) Sinus tachycardia.
E) Any of the above.

Answer And Discussion
The correct answer is “E.”

All of the above findings can be seen with a tricyclic overdose. In fact, the most common presenting rhythm is a narrow-complex sinus tachycardia. As toxicity progresses, you can get a prolonged PR interval, a widened QRS complex, and a prolonged QT interval. Heart blocks (second and third degree) herald a poor outcome and may be seen late in the course. Asystole is not a primary rhythm in tricyclic overdose and tends to reflect the end stage of another arrhythmia.

3. The patient becomes unresponsive and you look at the monitor. You obtain an ECG shown below:


What is the patient’s rhythm?
A) Monomorphic ventricular tachycardia.
B) Sinus tachycardia with a bundle branch block.
C) Paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia.
D) Torsade de pointes.
E) None of the above.

Answer And Discussion
The correct answer is “D.” Torsade de pointes.

This is torsades de pointes (literally “twisting of the points”), which is a subtype of polymorphic ventricular tachycardia. It can be recognized by the varying amplitude of the complex in
a somewhat regular pattern. “A” is incorrect because the complexes are not monomorphic. “B” is incorrect for two reasons. First, there are no P waves visible. Second, sinus tachycardia should not have varied amplitude. “C” is incorrect because, again, there are no P waves and the complexes are polymorphic.

4. After taking care of the ABCs, what is the ONE BEST drug for the treatment of this arrhythmia in a patient with a tricyclic overdose?

A) Beta-blockers.
B) Lidocaine.
C) Sodium bicarbonate.
D) Procainamide.
E) Amiodarone.

Answer And Discussion
The correct answer is “C.”  Sodium bicarbonate.

The treatment of choice for arrhythmias in patients with a tricyclic overdose is sodium bicarbonate. Raising the pH and administering sodium seem to “prime” the sodium channels in the heart reversing the toxicity of the tricyclic.
Procainamide and quinidine should not be used because they act in similar fashion to tricyclics and
may worsen the problem. Lidocaine can be used as can amiodarone, but they are not the best choices.
Beta-blockers can worsen hypotension and should be avoided.

5. This is not your patient’s lucky day. She begins to seize after the administration of the bicarbonate.
The treatment of choice for this seizing patient is:
A) Lorazepam.
B) Repeat the bolus of sodium bicarbonate and start a bicarbonate drip.
C) Phenytoin (Dilantin).
D) Fosphenytoin (Cerebryx).
E) None of the above.

Answer And Discussion
The correct answer is “A.”  Lorazepam

Benzodiazepines are the treatments of choice in tricyclic-induced seizures.
While most seizures are self-limited, it is important to control seizures because the resultant acidosis can worsen tricyclic toxicity.
“B” is incorrect. This patient is already alkalinized, and sodium bicarbonate is not particularly effective in tricyclic-induced seizures. Choice “C,” phenytoin, can be used, but benzodiazepines and phenobarbital should be administered first if possible. Phenytoin is not a particularly good antiepileptic drug in tricyclic overdose. “D” is incorrect for two reasons. First, since fosphenytoin is metabolized to phenytoin, the concern about efficacy applies. Second, fosphenytoin is a prodrug and requires adequate circulation and renal and hepatic function to be converted into active drug. If our patient becomes hypotensive with poor liver and renal perfusion, adequate drug levels might not be achieved. Finally, both phenytoin and fosphenytoin can cause hypotension— not what you need in this unstable patient.

Conclusion: The patient’s seizures stop and she is admitted to the intensive care unit.

5 comments:

  1. Hello Everyone out there,I am here to give my testimony about a Herbalist doctor who helped me . I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2011, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the river side thinking where I can go to get solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS and gave me his email, so i mail him. He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished . so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him at {oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com}
    or whatsapp him number: +2349038382931.
    Contact him today and you will have a testimony...Good luck!

    Dr. OLIHA Also Cures:
    1. HIV/AIDS
    2. HERPES 1/2
    3. CANCER
    4. ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease)
    5. Hepatitis B
    6. chronic pancreatic
    7. Emphysema
    8. COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am here to appreciate Dr Oliha for using his herbal medicine to cure my Herpes virus. since 4years now I have been living with this virus and it has been giving me challenges, I was so perplexed cause i have been taking several drugs to be cured but all of my effort was in vain,one morning i was browsing through the internet then i saw several testimonies about Dr. Oliha curing people from Herpes virus and immediately i contacted Dr. Oliha on his email: oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com , i told him about my troubles and he told me that i must be cured, gave me some instructions and which i rightly followed. so he prepared a herbal medicine for me and sent it to me which i used for 2 weeks and everything was like a dream to me and my Herpes virus was totally gone, why don't you contact him today and be free from your diseases because he is very good and honest Doctor. contact him via email; oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com or whatsApp him on +2349038382931

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis   

    ReplyDelete
  4. Investing online has been a main source of income,that's why knowledge plays a very important role in humanity,you don't need to over work yourself for money.All you need is the right information,and you could build your own wealth from the comfort of your home!Binary trading is dependent on timely signals,assets or controlled strategies which when mastered increases chance of winning up to 90%-100% with trading. It’s possible to earn $10,000 to $20,000 trading weekly-monthly,just file a complaint with  Robert,I had almost given up on everything about binary trading and ever getting my lost funds back,till i met with him,with his help now i have my lost funds back to my bank account and I can now trade successfully with his profitable strategies and software!! Email: Robertseaman939@gmail.com or Fb.me/investandmakemoney1 or  whatsApp: +44 7466 770724

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very enjoyed for this blog. Its an informative topic. It help me very much to solve some problems. Its opportunity are so fantastic and working style so speedy. I think it may be help all of you. Thanks.
    tms therapy

    ReplyDelete