Sunday, October 9, 2016

Diagnostic Criterion for Diabetes mellitus



Which of the following is a diagnostic criterion for the presence of diabetes mellitus?

A) Random plasma glucose >200 mg per dL
B) Fasting plasma glucose of 140 mg per dL
C) Abnormal glucose tolerance test
D) Hemoglobin A1C (HbA1c) of 7.5
E) All of the above

Answer and Discussion

The answer is E.

American Diabetes Association (ADA) consensus guidelines lowered the blood glucose thresholds for the diagnosis of diabetes. This increased the number of patients diagnosed at an earlier stage, although no studies have demonstrated a reduction in long-term complications.

Blood glucose measurements. The diagnosis of diabetes is based on one of three methods of blood glucose measurement.

  • Diabetes can be diagnosed if the patient has a fasting blood glucose level of 126 mg per dL (7.0 mmol per L) or greater on two separate occasions. 
  • Diabetes can also be diagnosed with a random blood glucose level of 200 mg per dL (11.1 mmol per L) or greater if classic symptoms of diabetes (e.g., polyuria, polydipsia, weight loss, blurred vision, fatigue) are present.

Lower random blood glucose values (140 to 180 mg per dL have a fairly high specificity of 92% to 98%; therefore, patients with these values should undergo more definitive testing.
A low sensitivity limits the use of random blood glucose testing.

The oral glucose tolerance test is considered a first-line diagnostic test.
In 2003, the ADA lowered the threshold for diagnosis of impaired fasting glucose to include a fasting glucose level between 100 and 125 mg per dL (5.6 and 6.9 mmol per L).

  • Impaired glucose tolerance continues to be defined as a blood glucose level between 140 and 199 mg per dL 2 hours after a 75-g load. 
Patients meeting either of these criteria are at significantly higher risk of progression to diabetes and should be counseled on effective strategies to lower their risk, such as weight loss and exercise.

HbA1C. measurement has recently been endorsed by the ADA as a diagnostic and screening tool for diabetes. One advantage of using A1C measurement is the ease of testing because it does not require fasting.

  • An HbA1C level of greater than 6.5% on two separate occasions is considered diagnostic of diabetes. 

4 comments:

  1. Hello Everyone out there,I am here to give my testimony about a Herbalist doctor who helped me . I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2011, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the river side thinking where I can go to get solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS and gave me his email, so i mail him. He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished . so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him at {oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com}
    or whatsapp him number: +2349038382931.
    Contact him today and you will have a testimony...Good luck!

    Dr. OLIHA Also Cures:
    1. HIV/AIDS
    2. HERPES 1/2
    3. CANCER
    4. ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease)
    5. Hepatitis B
    6. chronic pancreatic
    7. Emphysema
    8. COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease

    ReplyDelete

  2. I recently found many useful information in your website especially this blog page. Among the lots of comments on your articles. Thanks for sharing. Sugarbal Supplement

    ReplyDelete
  3. Investing online has been a main source of income,that's why knowledge plays a very important role in humanity,you don't need to over work yourself for money.All you need is the right information,and you could build your own wealth from the comfort of your home!Binary trading is dependent on timely signals,assets or controlled strategies which when mastered increases chance of winning up to 90%-100% with trading. It’s possible to earn $10,000 to $20,000 trading weekly-monthly,just file a complaint with  Robert,I had almost given up on everything about binary trading and ever getting my lost funds back,till i met with him,with his help now i have my lost funds back to my bank account and I can now trade successfully with his profitable strategies and software!! Email: Robertseaman939@gmail.com or Fb.me/investandmakemoney1 or  whatsApp: +44 7466 770724

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete