Thursday, October 27, 2016

Case Scenarios Of Patients presenting With Hematuria And Their Diagnosis .



A. Transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder
B. Renal stones
C. Chlamydia
D. IgA nephropathy
E. Urinary tract infection
F. Renal cell carcinoma
G. Polycystic kidney disease
H. Goodpasture's syndrome
I. Urethral syndrome
J. Renal vein thrombosis

For each one of the scenarios given below  please select the most likely diagnosis from the list of choices given above:

1. A 14-year-old boy develops visible haematuria following an upper respiratory tract infection.

Answer: IgA nephropathy which is also called Berger's disease.

2. A 60-year-old man presents with visible haematuria for the past three weeks. He has an ache in the left loin but examination is unremarkable other than a left varicocele. He also notes to feeling intermittently hot and sweaty.

Answer: Renal cell carcinoma.

Features of renal cell carcinoma include:

  • classical triad: haematuria, loin pain, abdominal mass
  • pyrexia of unknown origin
  • left varicocele (due to occlusion of left testicular vein)
  • endocrine effects: may secrete erythropoietin (polycythaemia), parathyroid hormone (hypercalcaemia), renin, ACTH
  • 25% have metastases at presentation
3. A 21-year-old female complains of dysuria for the past week, despite just completing a three day course of trimethoprim. Urine dipstick is positive for blood + and leucocytes +. A MSSU shows no organism.

Answer: Chlamydia infection


Features of Chlamydia include: 
  •  asymptomatic in around 70% of women and 50% of men
  • women: cervicitis (discharge, bleeding), dysuria
  • men: urethral discharge, dysuria
Brief Discussion On Hematuria 
The management of patients with haematuria is often difficult due to the absence of widely followed guidelines. It is sometimes unclear whether patients are best managed in primary care, by urologists or by nephrologists. 
The terminology surrounding haematuria is changing. 
Microscopic or dipstick positive haematuria is increasingly termed non-visible haematuria whilst macroscopic haematuria is termed visible haematuria. Non-visible haematuria is found in around 2.5% of the population. 

Causes of transient or spurious non-visible haematuria are: 
  • urinary tract infection 
  • menstruation 
  • vigorous exercise (this normally settles after around 3 days) 
  • sexual intercourse
Causes of persistent non-visible haematuria are:
  • cancer (bladder, renal, prostate) 
  • stones 
  • benign prostatic hyperplasia 
  • prostatitis 
  • urethritis e.g. Chlamydia 
  • renal causes: IgA nephropathy, thin basement membrane disease 
Spurious causes - red/orange urine, where blood is not present on dipstick:
  • foods: beetroot, rhubarb 
  • drugs: rifampicin, doxorubicin 
Management:  Current evidence does not support screening for haematuria. The incidence of non-visible haematuria is similar in patients taking aspirin/warfarin to the general population hence these patients should also be investigated.
  • urine dipstick is the test of choice for detecting haematuria 
  • persistent non-visible haematuria is often defined as blood being present in 2 out of 3 samples tested 2-3 weeks apart 
  • renal function, albumin:creatinine (ACR) or protein:creatinine ratio (PCR) and blood pressure should also be checked.
  • urine microscopy may be used but time to analysis significantly affects the number of red blood cells detected.
NICE urgent cancer referral guidelines include: 
  • Patient of any age with painless macroscopic haematuria 
  • patients under the age of 40 years with normal renal function, no proteinuria and who are normotensive do not need to be referred and may be managed in primary care 
  • aged 40 years and older who present with recurrent or persistent urinary tract infection associated with haematuria 
  • aged 50 years and older who are found to have unexplained microscopic haematuria

16 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello all
      am looking few years that some guys comes into the market
      they called themselves hacker, carder or spammer they rip the
      peoples with different ways and it’s a badly impact to real hacker
      now situation is that peoples doesn’t believe that real hackers and carder scammer exists.
      Anyone want to make deal with me any type am available but first
      I‘ll show the proof that am real then make a deal like

      Available Services

      ..Wire Bank Transfer all over the world

      ..Western Union Transfer all over the world

      ..Credit Cards (USA, UK, AUS, CAN, NZ)

      ..School Grade upgrade / remove Records

      ..Spamming Tool

      ..keyloggers / rats

      ..Social Media recovery

      .. Teaching Hacking / spamming / carding (1/2 hours course)

      discount for re-seller

      Contact: 24/7

      fixitrogers@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. You have made some really good points here and it is like get instant results. I looked on the web for more information about the issue and found most accurate information here.

    Thank you very much for such a helpful writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He heals and solve most of the problems & sickness which are failed to be healed by other doctors/healers. He solve bad luck, pregnancy problems, lost lover, sexual weakness, early ejaculation, witch-crafts, broken marriage, poverty, debts trouble, divorce, court cases, domestic problems, gambling losses, Lost jobs, promotions at work, Do you need penis enlargement? Do you want to be Rich? Do you need many children? Are you tired of jealousy people, Evil dreams, all long illnesses, blood pressure, HIV & aids, skin infections? etc. He use strong herbs & magic spells as well as powerful ancestors. Get healed today by this greatest miracle doctor who has healed many people through his experienced ancestors. Join the rest of the world to cerebrate his miracle healings. he can even read and tell you your problems before you say anything to him. He can connect you to talk to the spirit of a deceased of your family member or friend. he can also tell you your future through reading palm, play card, a mirror/water. He uses many ways of healing just to make sure that he certify his clients all over the world. he is the only traditional healer who does fully corresponds with all religious beliefs. contact him on his email address at babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am here to appreciate Dr Oliha for using his herbal medicine to cure my Herpes virus. since 4years now I have been living with this virus and it has been giving me challenges, I was so perplexed cause i have been taking several drugs to be cured but all of my effort was in vain,one morning i was browsing through the internet then i saw several testimonies about Dr. Oliha curing people from Herpes virus and immediately i contacted Dr. Oliha on his email: oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com , i told him about my troubles and he told me that i must be cured, gave me some instructions and which i rightly followed. so he prepared a herbal medicine for me and sent it to me which i used for 2 weeks and everything was like a dream to me and my Herpes virus was totally gone, why don't you contact him today and be free from your diseases because he is very good and honest Doctor. contact him via email; oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com or whatsApp him on +2349038382931

    ReplyDelete
  5. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis   

    ReplyDelete
  6. How I Got My Husband Back. My husband who departed from me 2 years ago started calling me and wanted us to get back Dr Sambo love spell made my husband to reconcile with me. When he came back he was all on me kissing and rubbing on me telling me how much he missed me and loves me, Dr Sambo is spectacular in repairing relationship! His work is wonderful, i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. Because i am now happy with  my husband. I highly recommending this service for those experiencing difficulties trying to restore there relationship. he is the real deal. you can reach Dr. Sambo his contact details seen below: divinespellhome@gmail.com  chat live with him on WhatsApp now +2348145810121

    ReplyDelete
  7. TESTIMONY ON HOW I GOT MY LOAN FROM A GENUINE FINANCE COMPANY LAST WEEK. Email for immediate response: drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    I am Mrs,Leores J Miguel by name, I live in United State Of America, who have been a scam victim to so many fake lenders online between November last year till July this year but i thank my creator so much that he has finally smiled on me by directing me to this new lender who put a smile on my face this year 2020 and he did not scam me and also by not deceiving or lying to me and my friends but however this lending firm is BENJAMIN LOAN INVESTMENTS FINANCE (drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com) gave me 2% loan which amount is $900,000.00 united states dollars after my agreement to their company terms and conditions and one significant thing i love about this loan company is that they are fast and unique. {Dr.Benjamin Scarlet Owen} can also help you with a legit loan offer. He Has also helped some other colleagues of mine. If you need a genuine loan without cost/stress he his the right loan lender to wipe away your financial problems and crisis today. BENJAMIN LOAN INVESTMENTS FINANCE holds all of the information about how to obtain money quickly and painlessly via Call/Text: +1(415)630-7138 Email: drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    When it comes to financial crisis and loan then BENJAMIN LOAN INVESTMENTS FINANCE is the place to go please just tell him I Mrs. Leores Miguel direct you Good Luck....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read about jeajamhacker@gmail.com on the internet as one of the best hacker ever and am really glad this hacker was able to do the job most hackers could not do, am forever grateful to jeajamhacker@gmail.com I have come across 2 to 3 hackers but yet they fail me at the end but just my first contact with jeajamhacker@gmail.com I got the best ever with out being traced by my spouse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was not easy for me getting the realest hacker I went through so many heart breaks, so many scammers and so on till I came in contact with spyexpert0@gmail.com who came through for me. I can boldly beat my chest and say this hacker is the realest when others disappointed spyexpert0@gmail.com didn’t disappoint me

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never lost hope in any thing just contact blackhatthacker@tuta. io for any kind of hack i must say this, thehackerspro.com is the best i have used his services so many

    times and i never get disappointed for once. mail this hacker on PROH4CKZ@PROTONMAIL.COM for
    1-DATABASE HACK
    2-WHATSAPP HACK
    3-WEBSITE HACK
    4-TRACKING CALLS
    5-PHONE CLONE
    6-FACEBOOK HACK
    7-CHANGE SCHOOL GRADE
    8-ONLINE RECORDS CHANGES
    His services are affordable thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Life is always beautiful when you are in good health. For almost 4 years I have been with herpes and I was lonely and sad. Fortunately I turned to a good and great doctor. to help me get back to health. completely cured my herpes.Today I am herpes free and very healthy. Many thanks. Dr ubarlo For returning my health. I will always be grateful. Dr ubarlo If you are reading this testimong and you have some kind of illness.(1) hepatitis.(2)cancer.(3) HIV.(4)herpes.(5) fibroids.6) ) (7) Cancer diabetes, you can also contact him on his email address drubarlohome@gmail.com or Whatsapp +2348119508814

    ReplyDelete
  12. For a while now I have been looking for a reliable hacker after being scammed by fake hackers who clam to know there job but end up falling me at the end, here I am testifying of the perfect work verifiedprohackers@gmail.com did for me that other hackers I have hired could not do for me in the space of an hour I got access to my wife phone remotely with the help of verifiedprohackers@gmail.com am so so blessed working with this hacker just like the bible will always say every disappointment is a blessing thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just want to say a very big thank you to spyexpert0@gmail.com from today till death spyexpert0@gmail.com is and will forever be my best cell phone monitoring plug this hacker is to perfect at his job, I got all I needed with out trace from this hacker….

    ReplyDelete
  14. With social media, today's patients often self-diagnose before seeing the healthcare professional. In one study 81% of respondents indicated that they expect to find help on the internet, including medical help. del taco diabetic menu

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was scammed by a fake Bitcoin investment company online in June. I lost about $782,000 to them and they denied all my withdrawal requests, and gave me all sorts of filthy requests. It was really hard for me because that was all my life savings and they tricked me into investing with their company with a guarantee that I will make more profit. They took all my money and I did not hear from them anymore. I was able to recover all I lost through the help of Lord Hacker Ultimate. I paid for the tools used and 20% of the recovered funds as his service charge after I got all my money back. I am really grateful to him because I know a lot of people here have been scammed and need help. Contact them via; L.H.ULTIMATE @FASTSERVICE.COM, Whatsapp No: +19095063423, website: lordhackerultimate.wixsite.com/lordhackerultimate. Their YouTube Page @lordhackerultimate, for any desired Hacking Services

    ReplyDelete