Saturday, July 1, 2017

Hyperglycemic Hyperosmolar Nonketotic Coma (HHNKC) - Case Discussion



A 63-year-old man is brought to the emergency room in an unconscious state. He was apparently in good health until 1 week before admission, when he experienced an insatiable thirst that he attempted to satisfy by drinking large quantities of beer and soda drinks. He had complained of having nocturia for several days, and had several bouts of diarrhea yesterday. He took to his bed yesterday and was found unconscious this morning.
He takes no drugs, has not seen a physician for several years, and works regularly as a house painter. His health has been good previously. His mother had diabetes in her eighties and died of a stroke.

Physical examination reveals a deeply unconscious, acutely ill man who has several focal right-sided seizures during examination. His skin and mucous membranes are dry and his ocular globes are quite soft. His BP is 98/60 mm Hg, pulse is 120 per minute, and rectal temperature is 38°C (100.9°F), and he exhibits unlabored respirations at a rate of 13 per minute. Except for the findings of minimal hepatomegaly, absent knee jerks, and bilateral Babinski's reflexes, the examination findings are otherwise normal.

Laboratory data consist of the following:

  • Hgb, 16.2 g/dL; Hct, 51%; and WBC, 1,340/ mm3 (92% polymorphonuclear leukocytes). 
  • Urinalysis reveals a specific gravity of 1.030; pH, 6.0; glucose, 4+; acetone, moderate amounts; and protein, trace amounts. 
  • Arterial blood gas analysis reveals a pH of 7.41, PCO2 of 35 mm Hg, and PO2 of 68 mm Hg. 
  • Both chest radiographic and head CT scan findings are normal. 
  • His ECG show s sinus tachycardia with nonspecific ST-T–w ave changes. 
  • Serum findings are BUN, 68 mg/dL; creatinine, 2.3 mg/dL; glucose, 1,420 mg/dL; ketones, trace amounts; sodium, 153 mEq/L; potassium, 4.6 mEq/L; chloride, 110 mEq/L; and bicarbonate, 26 mEq/L.

1. What is the diagnosis in this patient and how would you relate it to the major physical and laboratory findings?
2. What is the nature of this patient's endogenous insulin secretion, and is this type of diabetes hereditary?
3. Why did ketoacidosis not develop in this patient?
4. How is his liver involved in the pathogenesis of his hyperglycemia?
5. What are the major hormones that are counterregulatory to insulin action? Are they playing any role in this man's illness?
6. What would you predict about the state of his intravascular volume?
7. What are the major therapeutic goals in this patient?

Answers And Case Discussion


1. What is the diagnosis in this patient and how would you relate it to the major physical and laboratory findings?
This elderly patient presents in a comatose state preceded by several days of progressive symptoms of polyuria, polydipsia, and nocturia. His laboratory data show the presence of marked hyperglycemia but no acidosis. In this setting, his moderate ketonemia and ketonuria are most likely secondary to starvation. Therefore, the diagnosis in this patient is  Hyperglycemic Hyperosmolar Nonketotic Coma (HHNKC)
.
His serum osmolality can be calculated using the formula:

  • estimated osmolality = 2([Na] + [K]) + [glucose]/18 + [BUN]/2.8. 

For this patient, the estimated osmolality is calculated to be 418, which is consistent with a severe hyperosmolar state.

2. What is the nature of this patient's endogenous insulin secretion, and is this type of diabetes hereditary?
This patient has type 2 Diabetes mellitus. When type 2 Diabetes mellitus is of short duration, such as in this patient, and when patients are obese, the endogenous insulin levels are typically normal or elevated. Such patients are still able to maintain sufficient endogenous insulin secretion to prevent ketoacidosis from developing under basal conditions. Only severe stress with elevated catecholamines plus glucagon and decreased insulin secretion will precipitate DKA in people with
type 2 Diabetes mellitus
Heredity plays an important role in type 2 Diabetes mellitus, although the mode of inheritance is largely unknown. type 2 Diabetes mellitus is also a heterogeneous disorder, and different forms of genetic influences or defects may exist. Evidence for a genetic influence in the acquisition of type 2 Diabetes mellitus include
(a) a strong family history of the disease,
(b) a very high prevalence of the disease in certain population groups
(c) a concordance rate of 90% to 100% in monozygotic twins, and
(d) an apparent autosomal dominant mode of transmission of maturity-onset diabetes of the young (an uncommon monogenic form of type 2 Diabetes mellitus).

3. Why did ketoacidosis not develop in this patient?
This patient has sufficient endogenous insulin to prevent
(a) lipolysis (FFA levels are lower in the setting of HHNKC than of DKA), and
(b) full activation of the hepatic ketogenic system.
In the presence of a reasonable level of endogenous insulin, the glucagon-to-insulin ratio is not high enough to lead to significant ketogenesis and ketoacidosis.

4. How is his liver involved in the pathogenesis of his hyperglycemia?
The hyperglycemia in this patient results from the increased hepatic production of glucose due to increased glycogenolysis and gluconeogenesis, and from the decreased uptake and utilization of glucose by the liver, muscle, and adipose tissue. All of these changes are due to the underlying
insulin resistance of type 2 Diabetes mellitus and the relative, but not absolute, insulin deficiency in the presence of acute stressful conditions. In addition, people with type 2 Diabetes mellitus and underlying renal disease may present with HHNKC due to decreased clearance of insulin.

5. What are the major hormones that are counterregulatory to insulin action? Are they playing any role in this man's illness?
Glucagon, cortisol, catecholamines, and growth hormone (GH) are the chief insulin counterregulatory hormones that are elevated in major stressful conditions like HHNKC. Through the operation of several specific mechanisms, they counteract the effects of insulin, and this worsens the hyperglycemic state.

6. What would you predict about the state of his intravascular volume?
The intravascular volume is severely depleted in this patient (note the related findings revealed by the physical examination). The following sequence of events
may take place in patients with type 2 Diabetes mellitus if they are not adequately treated:

hyperglycemia → osmotic diuresis → loss of fluid and electrolytes → dehydration → worsening hyperosmolarity and osmotic diuresis → elevated counterregulatory hormones → hemoconcentration and hypovolemia → prerenal azotemia → circulatory insufficiency/shock/lactic acidosis → irreversible coma → death.

Therefore, if this patient's condition is not rapidly treated, irreversible coma and death may ensue.

7. What are the major therapeutic goals in this patient?
The major immediate therapeutic goals are
(a) replacement of fluid and electrolytes,
(b) correction of the hyperglycemia (relatively small doses of insulin are sufficient for patients in HHNKC compared with DKA), and
(c) identification and management of the precipitating factors.
HHNKC is a very serious medical emergency with a high risk of mortality unless an immediate, aggressive, and comprehensive management regimen is instituted. Once the acute situation is resolved, the diabetes may be managed in the long term either with diet and oral agents or with insulin.

21 comments:

  1. 2 WEEKS AGO I ENDED NATURAL HERBAL TREATMENT FROM TRADITIONAL HEALER WHO IS IN AFRICAN, I GOT RID OF HPV VIRUS OUT OF MY BODY WITH HIS HERBAL TREATMENT. It SO AMAZING I'M FREE FROM THIS VIRUS FOREVER. YOU CAN REACH HIM ON; DRONOKUNHERBALCURE@GMAIL.COM

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 years ago I had warts, I was treated with some liquid applied to the warts they continued to grow and spread... The next 2 doctors did laser surgery to remove them. 1 year after the surgery, they grew back close to where the 1st ones were' so I was finally told it was hpv. I have had it for very long time, I contract it from my cheated boyfriend and I found out he was also infected and I end up the relationship between us. the warts was so embarrasses because it started spreading all over I have be dealing with this things for very long time the last treatment I take was About 2 years ago I applied natural treatment from Dr onokun herbal cure, a week after applying the treatment all the warts was gone. it's now 2 years and some months I don't have single wart or any symptoms of hpv. wow"" it's great, Dr onokun has finally cured me. Anyone living with hpv contact Dr onokun for natural treatment.
    His email address: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5 years ago I had warts, I was treated with some liquid applied to the warts they continued to grow and spread... The next 2 doctors did laser surgery to remove them. 1 year after the surgery, they grew back close to where the 1st ones were' so I was finally told it was hpv. I have had it for very long time, I contract it from my cheated boyfriend and I found out he was also infected and I end up the relationship between us. the warts was so embarrasses because it started spreading all over I have be dealing with this things for very long time the last treatment I take was About 2 years ago I applied natural treatment from Dr onokun herbal cure, a week after applying the treatment all the warts was gone. it's now 2 years and some months I don't have single wart or any symptoms of hpv. wow"" it's great, Dr onokun has finally cured me. Anyone living with hpv contact Dr onokun for natural treatment.
    His email address: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greatest thanks to Dr Oyagu for his herbal drugs that he prepared for me and when i start using it in just 2weeks i was completely cured and that ended my HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 DISEASE i am so happy and grateful to Dr Oyagu . after reading about him on a testimony of Jason Cash on a blogger. i knew suddenly Dr Oyagu was the right Doctor to cure my HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 DISEASE. i discuss with Dr Oyagu and he prepared a herbal medicine for me and when it got sent to me in south korean . i used the herbal medicine and 2weeks and i went to check up again. after 15years of suffering from HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 at last i am smiling once again. Dr Oyagu also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Oyagu and be free from your suffering. contact his WhatsApp line:+2348101755322 or his Email:Oyaguspellcaster@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greatest thanks to Dr Oyagu for his herbal drugs that he prepared for me and when i start using it in just 2weeks i was completely cured and that ended my HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 DISEASE i am so happy and grateful to Dr Oyagu . after reading about him on a testimony of Jason Cash on a blogger. i knew suddenly Dr Oyagu was the right Doctor to cure my HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 DISEASE. i discuss with Dr Oyagu and he prepared a herbal medicine for me and when it got sent to me in south korean . i used the herbal medicine and 2weeks and i went to check up again. after 15years of suffering from HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 at last i am smiling once again. Dr Oyagu also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Oyagu and be free from your suffering. contact his WhatsApp line:+2348101755322 or his Email:Oyaguspellcaster@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis   

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Can't still believe that i got cured from Genital Herpes through herbal treatment from Dr Oyagu who I met through the internet, I actually couldn't believe it at first because it sounded impossible to me knowing how far I have gone just to get rid of it. Dr Oyagu send me his medicine which I took as instructed and here I am living a happy life once again, a big thanks to Dr Oyagu, I am sure there are many herbal doctors out there but Dr Oyagu did it for me, contact him oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com , also call or whatsApp him on +2348101755322

    ReplyDelete
  8. My names is Elizabeth Wong want to testify about the great spell caster called Dr Osasu my husband and i have been married for 8 years now we don't have a child and the doctor told us i can't give birth because my womb have been damaged due to wrong drugs prescription this got me so worried and my husband was not happy so he decided to get married to another girl and divorce me i was so sad i told my friend about it she told me about a powerful spell caster she gave me his email address well i never believe in it that much though i just decided to give him a try and he told me it will take 24hrs to get my husband back to me and i will get pregnant i doubted him the 3rd day my husband came back to me and was crying he said he didn't want the divorce anymore 3 weeks after the doctor confirmed that i was pregnant he can also help you contact him at

    (drosasu25@gmail.com)

    WhatsApp +2347064365391

    ReplyDelete
  9. Am here to say a big thank you to Dr Sam for his great powerful love spell and his great spirits for saving my relationship. No one would have believe that I and my ex will ever come back together again lovers. But this great spell caster united us in just 48 hours. Dr Sam is truly a real and honest online spell caster. Contact him now on: okokakspellhome@gmail.com or whatsApp him +2349060421250 and he will help you solve all your problem

    ReplyDelete
  10. Investing online has been a main source of income,that's why knowledge plays a very important role in humanity,you don't need to over work yourself for money.All you need is the right information,and you could build your own wealth from the comfort of your home!Binary trading is dependent on timely signals,assets or controlled strategies which when mastered increases chance of winning up to 90%-100% with trading. It’s possible to earn $10,000 to $20,000 trading weekly-monthly,just file a complaint with  Robert,I had almost given up on everything about binary trading and ever getting my lost funds back,till i met with him,with his help now i have my lost funds back to my bank account and I can now trade successfully with his profitable strategies and software!! Email: Robertseaman939@gmail.com or Fb.me/investandmakemoney1 or  whatsApp: +44 7466 770724

    ReplyDelete
  11. HOW I GOT CURED FROM  HPV WARTS Greetings to the general public, i want to tell about how i was cured of HPV disease by a Doctor called DR MOMOH i was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HPV and i saw comment of people talking about how DR MOMOH cured them. I Was scared because i never believed in the Internet but i was convince to give him a try because i having no hope of been cured of HPV so i decided to contact him with his email that was listed on the comment when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without problem, my HPV result came out negative. I pray for you God will give you everlasting life, you shall not die before your time for being a sincere and great man. Am so happy, you can also contact him if you have any problem Email: dr.momoh9@gmail.com , or whatsApp him on this number +2347083724098 1. LOVE SPELL 2. ALS CURE 3. HEPATITIS B 4. HIV/AIDS CURE 5. HERPES CURE 6 SPIRITUAL HEALERS

    ReplyDelete
  12. The greatest Joy in my life today is that i have been cured of Herpes by a Doctor called Dr. Edualekhide, I was infected with HERPES Disease in 2017, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution,so that my body can be okay. Until one faithful day as I was browsing on the internet I saw a testimony on how Dr. Edualekhide has helped people in curing Herpes and other diseases, quickly I copied his WhatsApp number so i contacted him for solution for my Herpes disease, So Dr. Edualekhide told me that his going to prepare his herbal medicine for my health which he sent to me, luckily after 2week my Herpes was cured. Dr. Edualekhide is well recognized as one of the best herbalist doctors in Africa, you don't have to be sad anymore or share your tears anymore on this disease when the cure is available. The medicine has NO SIDE EFFECT,there's no special diet when taking the medicine. He also cures ALS, HIV AIDS, CANCER, HPV, DIABETES and lots more.
    For enquiries:

    E-mail: dredualekhide@gmail.com

    Website: https://dredualekhide.wixsite.com/website

    You can reach me on my Email:

    angelaoscar06@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. HERPES INFECTION CURE IS 100% AVAILABLE WITH THE HELP OF DR OGBERAESE HERBAL MEDICINE.Joy and happiness is all i can see around ever since i came in contact with this great man Called Dr Ogberaese. i complained bitterly to him about me having herpes only for him to tell me it’s a minor stuff. He told me he has cured thousands of people but i did not believe until he sent me the herbal medicine and i took it as instructed by this great man, only to go to the hospital after two weeks for another test and i was confirmed negative. For the first time in four years i was getting that result. i want to use this medium to thank this great man. His name is Dr Ogberaese , i came in with his email through a friend in USA called Edith Rose and ever since then my live has been full with laughter and great peace of mind. i urge you all with herpes or HSV1&2 to contact him if you are willing to give him a chance. you can contact him through his email drogberaese54@gmail.com or you can also WhatsApp him +2348073818653

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to thank Dr Patrick a very powerful spell caster who help me to bring my husband back to me, few month ago i have a serious problem with my husband, to the extent that he left the house, and he started dating another woman and he stayed with the woman, i tried all i can to bring him back, but all my effort was useless until the day my friend came to my house and i told her every thing that had happened between me and my husband, then she told me of a powerful spell caster who help her when she was in the same problem I then contact Dr Patrick and told him everything and he told me not to worry my self again that my husband will come back to me after he has cast a spell on him, i thought it was a joke, after he had finish casting the spell, he told me that he had just finish casting the spell, to my greatest surprise within 48 hours, my husband really came back begging me to forgive him, if you need his help you can contact him with via email: drpatrickspellcaster@gmail.com or add him up on his whatsapp +1 662 493 2087 is willing to help anybody that needs his help.
    https://sabachaudhry1.blogspot.com/
    https://drpatrickspellcast.blogspot.com
    https://www.facebook.com/Drpatrickspellcaster11

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so Happy to write this article because I know it will help a lot of people who are suffering from Herpes. I am here to testify about the wonderful and most safe cure for herpes . I was positive to the deadly Virus called herpes and I lost hope completely because I was rejected even by my closest friends. I searched online to know and inquire about a cure for herpes and I saw testimony online on how Herbalist called Dr Osamu who cured so many people from Herpes virus and other similar diseases. I decided to contact the great herbalist because I know that nature has the power to heal everything. I contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will help me with the natural roots and herbs. After 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure is ready and he sent it to me via UPS and it got to me after 4 days. I used the medicine as he instructed (morning and evening ) and I got cured. it's really like a dream but I'm so happy that's the reason i decided to also add more comment of Him so that more people can be saved just like me and if you need his help, contact him via Email: dr.osamuherbalremedy@gmail.com or WhatsApp:+2349012406016

    ReplyDelete
  17. TESTIMONY ON HOW I GOT MY LOAN FROM A GENUINE FINANCE COMPANY LAST WEEK Email for immediate response: drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    {Dr.Benjamin Scarlet Owen} can also help you with a legit loan offer. He Has also helped some other colleagues of mine. If you need a genuine loan without cost/stress he his the right loan lender to wipe away your financial problems and crisis today. BENJAMIN LOAN FINANCE holds all of the information about how to obtain money quickly and painlessly via WhatsApp +19292227023 Email drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Before people said there is no cure for herpes virus but today many people have now believe that there is a cure,herpes virus can be cured through Africans roots and herbs, dr.ubarlo he is the one of the great herbal doctor in Africa and he has the cure on this virus last month he share his herbal medicine in some medical hospital and now he is well recognize as one of the best in Africa, you don’t have to be sad any more or share your tears any more on this virus when the cure have already be find by dr.ubarlo email him on drubarlohome@gmail.com or Whatsapp number +2348119508814

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for Sharing Helpful Blog, Native Organica - Best Organic products, vegetables & fruits online in Delhi, Gurgaon, Faridabad & Noida. Best products & price guaranteed. Cash on delivery available. Native Organica offers staple food products which can guarantee a healthier lifestyle for you and your family and avoid the unseen damage of using popular but unhealthy products in the current market. Also Read - Organic Food Store in Gurgaon and Buy Organic Spices Online in Gurgaon


    ReplyDelete