Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Haemochromatosis - Quick Case Discussion



Haemochromatosis
This 52‐year‐old man was referred after a diagnosis of diabetes mellitus was made by his GP. Please
examine him and discuss further investigations.

Clinical signs
• Increased skin pigmentation (slate‐grey colour)
• Stigmata of chronic liver disease
• Hepatomegaly

Scars of
• Venesection
• Liver biopsy
• Joint replacement
• Abdominal rooftop incision (hemihepatectomy for hepatocellular carcinoma)

Evidence of complications
• Endocrine: ‘bronze diabetes’ (e.g. injection sites), hypogonadism and testicular atrophy
• Cardiac: congestive cardiac failure
• Joints: arthropathy (pseudo‐gout)

Discussion


Inheritance
• Autosomal recessive on chromosome 6
• HFE gene mutation: regulator of gut iron absorption
• Homozygous prevalence 1:300, carrier rate 1:10
• Males affected at an earlier age than females – protected by menstrual iron losses

Presentation
• Fatigue and arthritis
• Chronic liver disease
• Incidental diagnosis or family screening

Investigation
• ↑ Serum ferritin
• ↑ Transferrin saturation
• Liver biopsy (diagnosis + staging)
• Genotyping
And consider:
• Blood glucose Diabetes
• ECG, CXR, ECHO Cardiac failure
• Liver ultrasound, α‐fetoprotein Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC)

Treatment
• Regular venesection (1 unit/week) until iron deficient, then venesect 1 unit, 3–4 times/ year
• Avoid alcohol
• Surveillance for hepatocellular carcinoma

Family screening (1st degree relatives aged > 20 years)
• Iron studies (ferritin and TSAT)
If positive:
• Liver biopsy
• Genotype analysis

Prognosis
• 200 × increased risk of Heptocellular carcinoma if cirrhotic
• Reduced life expectancy if cirrhotic
• Normal life expectancy without cirrhosis + effective treatment

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the very helpful tips about liver disease. many people have a suffer from liver disease and they want best liver treatments, I suggesting them can used herbal medicine so that it cure totally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 WEEKS AGO I ENDED NATURAL HERBAL TREATMENT FROM TRADITIONAL HEALER WHO IS IN AFRICAN, I GOT RID OF HPV VIRUS OUT OF MY BODY WITH HIS HERBAL TREATMENT. It SO AMAZING I'M FREE FROM THIS VIRUS FOREVER. YOU CAN REACH HIM ON; DRONOKUNHERBALCURE@GMAIL.COM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Esteems,

    We are Offering best Global Financial Service rendered to the general public with maximum satisfaction,maximum risk free. Do not miss this opportunity. Join the most trusted financial institution and secure a legitimate financial empowerment to add meaning to your life/business.

    Contact Dr. James Eric Firm via
    Email: fastloanoffer34@gmail.com
    https://urgentloanoffer22.blogspot.com/
    Whatsapp +918929509036
    Best Regards,
    Dr. James Eric.
    Executive Investment
    Consultant./Mediator/Facilitator

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Can't still believe that i got cured from Genital Herpes through herbal treatment from Dr Oyagu who I met through the internet, I actually couldn't believe it at first because it sounded impossible to me knowing how far I have gone just to get rid of it. Dr Oyagu send me his medicine which I took as instructed and here I am living a happy life once again, a big thanks to Dr Oyagu, I am sure there are many herbal doctors out there but Dr Oyagu did it for me, contact him oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com , also call or whatsApp him on +2348101755322

    ReplyDelete
  5. A grate testimony about how i got my Genital Herpes cured a month ago. i have been reading so many comments of some people who were cured from various diseases by Dr Isibor but i never believed them. I was hurt and depressed so I was too curious and wanted to try Dr Isibor, then i contacted him through his email when i contact him, he assured me 100% that he will heal me, i pleaded with him to help me out. My treatment was a great success, he healed me just as he promised. he sent me his medication and ask me to go for check up after 2 weeks of taking the medication. i agreed with him i took this medication and went for check up after a month later , to my greatest surprise my result was negative after the treatment, i am really happy that i am cured and healthy again. I have waited for 2weeks to be very sure i was completely healed before writing this testimony. I did another blood test one week ago and it was still Herpes negative. so i guess its time i recommend anyone going through Herpes Hepatitis B,  reach him through his email;drisiborspellhome@gmail.com or call him on +2348110493039

    ReplyDelete
  6. Investing online has been a main source of income,that's why knowledge plays a very important role in humanity,you don't need to over work yourself for money.All you need is the right information,and you could build your own wealth from the comfort of your home!Binary trading is dependent on timely signals,assets or controlled strategies which when mastered increases chance of winning up to 90%-100% with trading. It’s possible to earn $10,000 to $20,000 trading weekly-monthly,just file a complaint with  Robert,I had almost given up on everything about binary trading and ever getting my lost funds back,till i met with him,with his help now i have my lost funds back to my bank account and I can now trade successfully with his profitable strategies and software!! Email: Robertseaman939@gmail.com or Fb.me/investandmakemoney1 or  whatsApp: +44 7466 770724

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you interested in Liver Biopsy Treatment in Jaipur? Take an appointment or consult with our expert Dr. Mohan Goyal for more Information please visit our website http://drgoyalgastro.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am happy to recommend dr Godday for his great help, i suffered for years seeking for the cure of herpes virus. i came across a testimony about his herbal medicine and i contacted him and he sent me a herbal remedy. I am happy to say that i am cured and negative of herpes virus type2. A doctor with many health experience and has many herbal medicine for most of the diseases you believed that had no cures. He has herbal remedies for Cancer, Herpes virus, Lime, Hepatitis and Kidney disease Contact him on his Email: goddayspiritualhome@gmail.com or Whats app only +1{919}4956404

    ReplyDelete