Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Case Discussion - A Woman Presenting for Preconceptional Counseling ...



Mrs B, 24 years old had a previous baby with Down syndrome who is now one year old.She is desirous of further childbearing but is apprehensive about similar problem in the next baby and has come for preconceptional counseling. The karyotype of the affected child showed Trisomy 21 (47,XY).

Approach to the Case: 

Points to be asked in History
• Age of the mother at delivery
• Period of gestation at which the pregnancy was registered
• First trimester scan for nuchal translucency
• Whether first or second trimester screening was done
• Second trimester anomaly scan
• Pregnancy outcome: Miscarriage, stillborn or live born

She mentions that her first pregnancy was a spontaneous conception. She sought antenatal care at 20 weeks of pregnancy. She had a term delivery at a hospital of a small for gestational age baby. The baby had mongoloid facies and a ventricular septal defect was diagnosed. The baby had delayed milestones and on investigations the baby was diagnosed with Trisomy 21.

What recurrence risk would you attribute to this lady?
Down’s syndrome cases result from nondisjunction, translocation or mosaic. With a pregnancy complicated by trisomy 21 from nondisjunction, the woman has 1% risk of having a pregnancy with trisomy in subsequent pregnancy. This risk pertains unless her age related risk exceeds it. Because of this risk, she would be offered invasive prenatal diagnosis. Parental karyotype is not indicated in this
couple.

What is the incidence of Down syndrome in general population?
Down’s syndrome occurs in 1 in 800 to 1 in 1000 newborns



What is the indication of parental karyotype in cases of Down syndrome?
When a fetus or child is found to have a translocation trisomy, chromosomal studies of both parents should be performed. If neither parent is a carrier and the translocation occurred spontaneously, the recurrence risk is extremely low. In one third cases one parent will be a carrier. Other relatives can also be carriers and efforts should be made to identify all adult translocation carriers in a family so that they can be alerted to possible risks to future offspring. This is sometimes referred to as translocation tracing or chasing.

Now the woman in the above scenario reports to you at 8 weeks pregnancy.

What is your plan of management in the current pregnancy?
Since the recurrence in this pregnancy is about 1%, the women will be directly offered invasive testing with chorionic villous sampling to ascertain the chromosomal configuration of the fetus. In such patients there is no role of serum screening or combined screening. If she reports later than 14 weeks she is offered prenatal diagnosis with amniocentesis.

What are the indications of invasive prenatal testing?
1. Maternal age > 35 years
2. Previous offspring with aneuploidy.
3. Multiple or major congenital malformations on ultrasonography
4. Positive screening test.
5. Parental aneuploidy.
6. Intracytoplasmic sperm injection: there is increased risk of (1%) sex chromosomal abnormalities in pregnancies established by ICSI.
7. Recurrent spontaneous miscarriages.
8. Family history of single gene defects.
9. Structural chromosomal rearrangements.
a. Either parent with Robertsonian translocations
b. Parental reciprocal translocations: mode of ascertainment is very important. If a balanced reciprocal translocation is ascertained through an unbalanced child or another liveborn relative, the likelihood of unbalanced live borns is approximately 20%. If balanced translocation is ascertained through a history of repeated miscarriage, the risk for an abnormal liveborn is much lower.


8 comments:

  1. 2 WEEKS AGO I ENDED NATURAL HERBAL TREATMENT FROM TRADITIONAL HEALER WHO IS IN AFRICAN, I GOT RID OF HPV VIRUS OUT OF MY BODY WITH HIS HERBAL TREATMENT. It SO AMAZING I'M FREE FROM THIS VIRUS FOREVER. YOU CAN REACH HIM ON; DRONOKUNHERBALCURE@GMAIL.COM

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 years ago I had warts, I was treated with some liquid applied to the warts they continued to grow and spread... The next 2 doctors did laser surgery to remove them. 1 year after the surgery, they grew back close to where the 1st ones were' so I was finally told it was hpv. I have had it for very long time, I contract it from my cheated boyfriend and I found out he was also infected and I end up the relationship between us. the warts was so embarrasses because it started spreading all over I have be dealing with this things for very long time the last treatment I take was About 2 years ago I applied natural treatment from Dr onokun herbal cure, a week after applying the treatment all the warts was gone. it's now 2 years and some months I don't have single wart or any symptoms of hpv. wow"" it's great, Dr onokun has finally cured me. Anyone living with hpv contact Dr onokun for natural treatment.
    His email address: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis   

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Can't still believe that i got cured from Genital Herpes through herbal treatment from Dr Oyagu who I met through the internet, I actually couldn't believe it at first because it sounded impossible to me knowing how far I have gone just to get rid of it. Dr Oyagu send me his medicine which I took as instructed and here I am living a happy life once again, a big thanks to Dr Oyagu, I am sure there are many herbal doctors out there but Dr Oyagu did it for me, contact him oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com , also call or whatsApp him on +2348101755322

    ReplyDelete
  5. A grate testimony about how i got my Genital Herpes cured a month ago. i have been reading so many comments of some people who were cured from various diseases by Dr Isibor but i never believed them. I was hurt and depressed so I was too curious and wanted to try Dr Isibor, then i contacted him through his email when i contact him, he assured me 100% that he will heal me, i pleaded with him to help me out. My treatment was a great success, he healed me just as he promised. he sent me his medication and ask me to go for check up after 2 weeks of taking the medication. i agreed with him i took this medication and went for check up after a month later , to my greatest surprise my result was negative after the treatment, i am really happy that i am cured and healthy again. I have waited for 2weeks to be very sure i was completely healed before writing this testimony. I did another blood test one week ago and it was still Herpes negative. so i guess its time i recommend anyone going through Herpes Hepatitis B,  reach him through his email;drisiborspellhome@gmail.com or call him on +2348110493039

    ReplyDelete
  6. Investing online has been a main source of income,that's why knowledge plays a very important role in humanity,you don't need to over work yourself for money.All you need is the right information,and you could build your own wealth from the comfort of your home!Binary trading is dependent on timely signals,assets or controlled strategies which when mastered increases chance of winning up to 90%-100% with trading. It’s possible to earn $10,000 to $20,000 trading weekly-monthly,just file a complaint with  Robert,I had almost given up on everything about binary trading and ever getting my lost funds back,till i met with him,with his help now i have my lost funds back to my bank account and I can now trade successfully with his profitable strategies and software!! Email: Robertseaman939@gmail.com or Fb.me/investandmakemoney1 or  whatsApp: +44 7466 770724

    ReplyDelete
  7. MBBS in Georgia
    is a magnificent opportunity for medical aspirants intending to fulfill their heartfelt ambitions of medical Education. Most of the medical aspirants in India that are unable to acquire a medical seat are willing to study medicine abroad. The handiness of plenty of countries offering affordable medical education benefitted maximum students to transform their lives from an aspirant to the practitioner. Georgia recently has emerged as one of the dream destinations for students willing to pursue the best medical education abroad.

    ReplyDelete