Saturday, July 1, 2017

Eisenmenger’s syndrome - Questions & Answers For A Long Case



Eisenmenger syndrome refers to any untreated congenital cardiac defect with intracardiac communication that leads to pulmonary hypertension, reversal of flow, and cyanosis. The previous left-to-right shunt is converted into a right-to-left shunt secondary to elevated pulmonary artery pressures and associated pulmonary vascular disease.

What are your differential diagnoses?
 As follows:
  • Congestive cardiac failure
  • Chronic cor pulmonale.
Q. What investigations would you suggest ?
 As follows:
1. X-ray chest (enlargement of central pulmonary arteries with peripheral pruning of pulmonary vessels).
2. ECG (RVH, RAH, right axis deviation).
3. Echocardiography.

Q. What are the clinical features of Eisenmenger’s syndrome?
As follows:
  • Dyspnea
  • Fatigue
  • Syncope
  • Angina
  • Hemoptysis
  • Features of CCF.
On examination:
  • Central cyanosis (not corrected by giving 100% oxygen. Differential cyanosis (cyanosis in toes, not in the hand) occurs in PDA.
  • Clubbing (differential clubbing—clubbing in toes, not in the hand, occurs in PDA).
  • Pulse—low volume.
  • Prominent “a” wave in JVP.
  • Other signs of pulmonary hypertension – palpable P2, left parasternal lift, epigastric pulsation due to RVH. Ejection click and ejection systolic murmur may be present.
  • Tricuspic regurgitation may occur (in such case, prominent V wave in JVP, also there may be a pansystolic murmur in left lower parasternal area).
  • Polycythemia.
  • Original murmur of VSD, ASD or PDA—decrease in intensity, even may disappear.
Q. What is the treatment?
As follows:
  • Diuretic.
  • Digoxin may be given in some cases.
  • Venesection may be required, especially if there is polycythemia.
  • Heart lung transplantation may be done (mortality rate is very high than heart transplantation alone).
  • Surgery of shunt is contraindicated in Eisenmenger’s syndrome, as it aggravates right sided heart failure.
Q. What are the causes of death in Eisenmenger’s syndrome?
As follows:
  • Right heart failure
  • Infective endocarditis
  • Pulmonary infarction
  • Cerebral thrombosis or abscess
  • Arrhythmias.
Remember the following points:
  • If a patient has cyanosis with evidences of pulmonary hypertension, the more likely diagnosis is Eisenmenger’s syndrome.
  • If a patient with VSD develops Eisenmenger’s syndrome, there is appearance of cyanosis, clubbing and evidences of pulmonary hypertension. However, pansystolic murmur of VSD may disappear, because of equalization of pressure between right and left ventricles.
  • Patient with Eisenmenger’s syndrome is at particular risk from abrupt changes in afterload that exacerbate right to left shunting (e.g. during anesthesia and also in pregnancy).





9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Good evening to you all I want to write a shortly message to the world how doctor ehiaguna help with his great herbal medicine to cured me from this horrible virus HSV 1 and 2 I get his email from someone name Olivia mason how she was also cured by doctor ehiaguna I never believe there was cure until I meet her testimony, I contacted doctor ehiaguna I don’t believe there was cure well I am so happy to write this testimony to the world, this man immediately when I sent him email and this man response within 20 minus and give me the necessary process and the herbal was sent to within 4 day I took it according to the instruction so with 2 week I was completely cured and I get my test done I was confirm negative I am so happy if you want to get his contact you can message him with this email drehiaguna@gmail.com or you can also WhatsApp him +2348073908953 he can fix this.HIV.HEPATITIS.ANTHRAX.HPV.CANCER.ALSAND ALSO SOLVE YOUR RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM

      Delete
  2. 2 WEEKS AGO I ENDED NATURAL HERBAL TREATMENT FROM TRADITIONAL HEALER WHO IS IN AFRICAN, I GOT RID OF HPV VIRUS OUT OF MY BODY WITH HIS HERBAL TREATMENT. It SO AMAZING I'M FREE FROM THIS VIRUS FOREVER. YOU CAN REACH HIM ON; DRONOKUNHERBALCURE@GMAIL.COM

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5 years ago I had warts, I was treated with some liquid applied to the warts they continued to grow and spread... The next 2 doctors did laser surgery to remove them. 1 year after the surgery, they grew back close to where the 1st ones were' so I was finally told it was hpv. I have had it for very long time, I contract it from my cheated boyfriend and I found out he was also infected and I end up the relationship between us. the warts was so embarrasses because it started spreading all over I have be dealing with this things for very long time the last treatment I take was About 2 years ago I applied natural treatment from Dr onokun herbal cure, a week after applying the treatment all the warts was gone. it's now 2 years and some months I don't have single wart or any symptoms of hpv. wow"" it's great, Dr onokun has finally cured me. Anyone living with hpv contact Dr onokun for natural treatment.
    His email address: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis   

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Can't still believe that i got cured from Genital Herpes through herbal treatment from Dr Oyagu who I met through the internet, I actually couldn't believe it at first because it sounded impossible to me knowing how far I have gone just to get rid of it. Dr Oyagu send me his medicine which I took as instructed and here I am living a happy life once again, a big thanks to Dr Oyagu, I am sure there are many herbal doctors out there but Dr Oyagu did it for me, contact him oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com , also call or whatsApp him on +2348101755322

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good evening to you all I want to write a shortly message to the world how doctor ehiaguna help with his great herbal medicine to cured me from this horrible virus HSV 1 and 2 I get his email from someone name Olivia mason how she was also cured by doctor ehiaguna I never believe there was cure until I meet her testimony, I contacted doctor ehiaguna I don’t believe there was cure well I am so happy to write this testimony to the world, this man immediately when I sent him email and this man response within 20 minus and give me the necessary process and the herbal was sent to within 4 day I took it according to the instruction so with 2 week I was completely cured and I get my test done I was confirm negative I am so happy if you want to get his contact you can message him with this email drehiaguna@gmail.com or you can also WhatsApp him +2348073908953 he can fix this.HIV.HEPATITIS.ANTHRAX.HPV.CANCER.ALSAND ALSO SOLVE YOUR RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Investing online has been a main source of income,that's why knowledge plays a very important role in humanity,you don't need to over work yourself for money.All you need is the right information,and you could build your own wealth from the comfort of your home!Binary trading is dependent on timely signals,assets or controlled strategies which when mastered increases chance of winning up to 90%-100% with trading. It’s possible to earn $10,000 to $20,000 trading weekly-monthly,just file a complaint with  Robert,I had almost given up on everything about binary trading and ever getting my lost funds back,till i met with him,with his help now i have my lost funds back to my bank account and I can now trade successfully with his profitable strategies and software!! Email: RobertInvesting online has been a main source of income,that's why knowledge plays a very important role in humanity,you don't need to over work yourself for money.All you need is the right information,and you could build your own wealth from the comfort of your home!Binary trading is dependent on timely signals,assets or controlled strategies which when mastered increases chance of winning up to 90%-100% with trading. It’s possible to earn $10,000 to $20,000 trading weekly-monthly,just file a complaint with  Robert,I had almost given up on everything about binary trading and ever getting my lost funds back,till i met with him,with his help now i have my lost funds back to my bank account and I can now trade successfully with his profitable strategies and software!! Email: Robertseaman939@gmail.com or Fb.me/investandmakemoney1 or  whatsApp: +44 7466 770724seaman939@gmail.com or Fb.me/investandmakemoney1 or  whatsApp: +44 7466 770724

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am happy to recommend dr Godday for his great help, i suffered for years seeking for the cure of herpes virus. i came across a testimony about his herbal medicine and i contacted him and he sent me a herbal remedy. I am happy to say that i am cured and negative of herpes virus type2. A doctor with many health experience and has many herbal medicine for most of the diseases you believed that had no cures. He has herbal remedies for Cancer, Herpes virus, Lime, Hepatitis and Kidney disease Contact him on his Email: goddayspiritualhome@gmail.com or Whats app only +1{919}4956404

    ReplyDelete