Thursday, November 24, 2016

Interpreting Hepatitis Serology



A 42-year-old man presents to his GP complaining of persistent lethargy. Routine bloods show abnormal liver function tests so a hepatitis screen is sent. The results are shown below:
Anti-HAV IgG negative
HBsAg negative
Anti-HBsAb positive
Anti-HBcAg negative
Anti-HCV positive
What do these results most likely demonstrate?
A. Hepatitis B infection
B. Hepatitis C infection
C. Previous vaccination to hepatitis B and C
D. Hepatitis C infection with previous hepatitis B vaccination
E. Hepatitis B and C infection

Answer:
D. Hepatitis C infection with previous hepatitis B vaccination

Discussion: Given the deranged liver function tests these results most likely indicate previous hepatitis B vaccination with active hepatitis C infection. However, around 15% of patients exposed to the hepatitis C virus clear the infection. It would therefore be necessary to perform a HCV PCR to see if the virus is still present. There is currently no vaccination for hepatitis C.

Interpreting hepatitis B serology:
 surface antigen (HBsAg) is the first marker to appear and causes the production of anti-HBs
 HBsAg normally implies acute disease (present for 1-6 months)
 if HBsAg is present for > 6 months then this implies chronic disease (i.e. Infective)
 Anti-HBsAb implies immunity (either exposure or immunisation). It is negative in chronic disease  Anti-HBc implies previous (or current) infection. IgM anti-HBcAg appears during acute or recent hepatitis B infection and is present for about 6 months
 HbeAg results from breakdown of core antigen from infected liver cells as is therefore a marker of infectivity

4 comments:

  1. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis   

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it’s a nice one, I have been looking for carpal tunnel syndrome. Thanks for sharing such informative stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really good site post, i am delighted I came across it. I will be back down the track to check out other posts that home health aide jobs in boston ma

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete