Monday, November 14, 2016

Drug-Induced Liver Disease



A 54-year-old woman presents with jaundice shortly after being discharged from hospital. Liver function tests are reported as follows:
Albumin = 49 g/l, Bilirubin = 89 mmol/l, Alanine transferase (ALT) = 66 iu/l,
Alkaline phosphatase (ALP) = 245 mmol/l, Gamma glutamyl transferase (yGT) = 529 u/l.
Which of the following antibiotics is she most likely to have received?
A. Co-amoxiclav
B. Gentamicin
C. Ciprofloxacin
D. Trimethoprim
E. Ceftazidime

Answer:
A. Co-amoxiclav.

Discussion: Co-amoxiclav is a well recognised cause of cholestasis

Drug-induced liver disease:
Drug-induced liver disease is generally divided into:

  • hepatocellular, 
  • cholestatic or 
  • mixed. 

There is however considerable overlap, with some drugs causing a range of changes to the liver.

The following drugs tend to cause a hepatocellular picture:
 paracetamol
 sodium valproate,
 phenytoin
 MAOIs
 halothane
 anti-tuberculosis: isoniazid, rifampicin, pyrazinamide
 statins
 alcohol
 amiodarone
 methyldopa
 nitrofurantoin

The following drugs tend to cause cholestasis (+/- hepatitis):
 oral contraceptive pill
 antibiotics: flucloxacillin, co-amoxiclav, erythromycin
 anabolic steroids, testosterones
 phenothiazines: chlorpromazine, prochlorperazine
 sulphonylureas
 fibrates
 rare reported causes: nifedipine

The following drugs can cause Liver cirrhosis:
 methotrexate
 methyldopa
 amiodarone

3 comments:

  1. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis   

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I’ve been a lurker around your blog for a few months. I love this article and your entire site! Looking forward to reading more! san joaquin county mental health stockton ca

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete