Saturday, September 26, 2015

Treatment Of Osteoarthritis In Elderly Patients


The preferred initial therapy for elderly patients with arthralgia due to osteoarthritis is which of
the following?

A) NSAIDs.
B) COX-2 inhibitors.
C) Acetaminophen.
D) Combination narcotic analgesics.
E) Early joint replacement.

Answer:

The correct answer is “C.” Acetaminophen

Discussion: Because of greater risk of gastrointestinal (GI) and renal toxicity in the elderly, NSAIDs should be avoided if possible and limited if used in this population. As for COX-2 inhibitors, the advantage in GI side effects is questionable, and the cost is much greater than traditional NSAIDs.
The best initial choice for osteoarthritis pain in the elderly (and almost everybody, for that matter) is acetaminophen with doses scheduled three to four times per day. In older patients, do not exceed 3 g of acetaminophen per day.
Combination narcotic analgesics are employed when acetaminophen alone does not suffice and NSAIDs are contraindicated. Although elderly patients should be considered candidates for joint replacement, it is not appropriate as the initial therapy.
Other treatments of osteoarthritis that have some demonstrated benefit for short-term pain control include topical capsaicin cream, topical NSAIDs, intra-articular steroid injection, and intra-articular hyaluronic acid injection. A single, high volume, injection of the latter has been approved by the FDA for treatment of primary osteoarthritis of the knee.
Glucosamine, with or without chondroitin, has not shown benefit in rigorous trials. None of these treatments has demonstrated clinically significant, long-term benefit.

5 comments:

  1. Great post! I am actually getting ready to across this information, It's very helpful for this blog.Also great with all of the valuable information you have Keep up the good work you are doing well.
    osteoarthritis

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis   

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOW I GOT RID OF MY HERPES Virus WITH THE HELP OF DR Aire.    Greetings to the general public, i want to inform the general public how i was cured of HERPES Simplex Virus by a Doctor called Dr Aire. i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and is Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how Doctor Dr Aire cured them. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took as instructed and it seriously worked for me, i am a free person now without problem, my HERPES result came out negative. I pray for you Dr Aire God will give you everlasting life, you shall not die before your time for being a sincere and great man. Am so happy, you can also contact him if you have any problem like HIV/AID, CANCER,HERPATITIS,DIABETES,HPV,INFECTION ETC. Reach him on his  Email Address at=== drairehome@gmail.com  or you can contact him on WHATSAPP FOR EASY ACCESS at +2347036740271

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was diagnosed of herpes virus, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor called Dr Agaba, who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including herpes virus (Herpes), when i contacted this herbal doctor via email, he sent me herpes virus herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured from the virus within 3 weeks of usage. Contact this great herbal doctor today to get your cure. 
    Via Email: Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486

    ReplyDelete
  5. MBBS in Georgia is a magnificent opportunity for medical aspirants intending to fulfill their heartfelt ambitions of medical education. Most of the medical aspirants in India that are unable to acquire a medical seat are willing to study medicine abroad. The handiness of plenty of countries offering affordable medical education benefitted maximum students to transform their lives from an aspirant to the practitioner. Georgia recently has emerged as one of the dream destinations for students willing to pursue the best medical education abroad.

    ReplyDelete