Saturday, September 19, 2015

Age Related Macular Degeneration

A 79-year-old female patient, well known to you from 5 years of treating her hypertension, presents to your office with concerns about her vision and hearing. Over the last year, she has noticed worsening vision in her left eye. She denies eye pain, tearing, and redness. She wears bifocals and last had an eye exam 3 years ago. At that time, she recalls her eye doctor saying her vision was “stable.”  Which of the following is true regarding common visual problems in older adults?

A) Initial symptoms of macular degeneration include decreased visual acuity and central visual field distortion.
B) Cataracts are less common in the older population than is macular degeneration.
C) Symptoms of open-angle glaucoma are dramatic and manifest early in the disease.
D) Initial symptoms of central retinal artery occlusion include severe pain and sudden loss of vision.
E) If a cataract is detectable on physical exam, it should be removed.

Answer:



A : Initial symptoms of macular degeneration include decreased visual acuity and central visual field distortion.

Explanation: By age 65, approximately one person in three has some form of eye disease that results in vision loss. The most common cause of blindness in older Americans is age-related macular degeneration (AMD). The disease typically presents with loss of vision in the central field with preservation of peripheral vision.

Answer “B” is false. Cataracts are more common than is macular degeneration. However, the availability of cataract surgery in the United States has reduced cataract-related vision loss in older Americans so that, even though cataracts are more common, they are less likely than AMD to cause blindness.

Worldwide, cataracts are the leading cause of visual impairment. Surgery is indicated when vision loss due to the cataract is interfering with function—not simply because the physician discovers the cataract, so “E” is incorrect.

Open-angle glaucoma, the most common form of glaucoma, progresses slowly over time. Significant visual field loss may occur, but is only recognized late in the disease.

Central retinal artery occlusion presents with sudden onset of painless monocular blindness. Severe eye pain and loss of vision would be more consistent with acute closed angle glaucoma.

9 comments:

  1. Age-related macular degeneration is a progressive sight robbing disease. Not only can the disease affect the eyes, it can cause a reduced quality of life and depression. Blurred vision is usual symptom of this disease and it may affect near vision tasks first. therapy and macular degeneration treatment need to take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my last hope of having a child and Dr Obodo made my dreams come true. I asked for the spells, but didn’t tell my husband. We carried on trying to get pregnant as normal. I had a really good feeling about Obodo. I felt pregnant or like pregnancy was coming very about a week after the spells were cast. I began to vomit in the morning from morning sickness. I thought it was the toast. I’ve never felt like that before. And it was true! I went and grabbed the pee stick to show my husband. I went to my doctors at the earliest possible time to have a test and it came back positive. I immediately rang up my husband to let him know that the pee stick was not a false positive. He asked me how it was possible. He was certain that the pee stick was passed the expiry date. I told him all about Obodo, the fertility spells and he was amazed. We now have a very beautiful baby boy on the way and we are expecting to use Obodo in hope that I can have my baby girl. you can get in touch with doc via info ___ templeofanswer@hotmail . co . uk , call 234 8155 425481 for help

      Thank you,
      The Messer Family














      It was my last hope of having a child and Dr Obodo made my dreams come true. I asked for the spells, but didn’t tell my husband. We carried on trying to get pregnant as normal. I had a really good feeling about Obodo. I felt pregnant or like pregnancy was coming very about a week after the spells were cast. I began to vomit in the morning from morning sickness. I thought it was the toast. I’ve never felt like that before. And it was true! I went and grabbed the pee stick to show my husband. I went to my doctors at the earliest possible time to have a test and it came back positive. I immediately rang up my husband to let him know that the pee stick was not a false positive. He asked me how it was possible. He was certain that the pee stick was passed the expiry date. I told him all about Obodo, the fertility spells and he was amazed. We now have a very beautiful baby boy on the way and we are expecting to use Obodo in hope that I can have my baby girl. you can get in touch with doc via info ___ templeofanswer@hotmail . co . uk , call 234 8155 425481 for help

      Thank you,
      The Messer Family

      Delete
  2. I'm 15 years old. I was born with HIV my mother passed away because of the HIV infection And I regret why i never met Dr Itua he could have cured my mum for me because as a single mother it was very hard for my mother I came across Dr itua healing words online about how he cure different disease in different races diseases like HIV/Aids Herpes,Parkison,Asthma,Autism,Copd,Epilepsy,Shingles,Cold Sore,Infertility, Chronic Fatigues Syndrome,Fibromyalgia,Love Spell,Prostate Cancer,Lung Cancer,Glaucoma.,psoriasis, Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,psoriasis,
    Dementia.,Tach Disease,Breast Cancer,Blood Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Love Spell,Chronic Diarrhea,Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Weak Erection,Breast Enlargment,Penis Enlargment,Hpv,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria)Diabetes Hepatitis even Cancer I was so excited but frighten at same time because I haven't come across such thing article online then I contacted Dr Itua on Mail drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ . I also chat with him on what's app +2348149277967 he tells me how it works then I tell him I want to proceed I paid him so swiftly Colorado post office I receive my herbal medicine within 4/5 working days he gave me guild lines to follow and here am I living healthy again can imagine how god use men to manifest his works am I writing in all articles online to spread the god work of Dr Itua Herbal Medicine,He's a Great Man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read your article; it is very informative and helpful for me. I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it. Macular degeneration treatment

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Post!
    Thanks for sharing the great information.
    Get in touch with the Dr Dinesh Garg if you want the best treatment and surgery for your eye problem. He is currently working at best Eye hospital in Ludhiana - Advanced centre For Eye.

    ReplyDelete

  5. Your good knowledge and kindness in playing with all the pieces were very useful. I don’t know what I would have done if I had not encountered such a step like this.
    Pain Relief Oil

    ReplyDelete
  6. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis   

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was diagnosed of herpes virus, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor called Dr Agaba, who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including herpes virus (Herpes), when i contacted this herbal doctor via email, he sent me herpes virus herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured from the virus within 3 weeks of usage. Contact this great herbal doctor today to get your cure. 
    Via Email: Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete