Thursday, September 17, 2015

A Patient With Diarrhea And Epigastric Pain Unresponsive To Treatment

One of your patients presents complaining of diarrhea and epigastric pain unresponsive to H2 blockers or PPIs. He denies smoking tobacco, taking NSAIDs, or drinking alcohol. Endoscopy reveals several ulcers. Biopsy for H. pylori is negative and there is no malignancy.
Which of the following would be the most appropriate laboratory test to obtain in order to discover an etiology for the multiple ulcers (and diarrhea)?

A) Vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP).
B) Gastrin.
C) Glucagon.
D) Somatostatin.
E) None of the above.

Answer:



B. Gastrin

Discussion: Some sort of screening test for gastrinoma is warranted in a patient who has recurrent or refractory ulcers. Zollinger–Ellison syndrome is the name given to the state in which there is acid hypersecretion secondary to increased gastrin production, usually from a gastrin-producing tumor (gastrinoma). Up to 1% of patients with PUD have a gastrinoma. Serum gastrin levels should be obtained with the patient fasting and off PPIs, as PPIs will increase gastrin levels. If the serum gastrin
is elevated, further investigations will need to be performed.
Other reasons to consider obtaining a serum gastrin level include ulcers in unusual locations, family history of ulcers, and ulcers associated with reflux esophagitis.

“A” is incorrect. VIP actually works to suppress acid secretion. VIPomas do occur (they’re actually tumors and not related to VIP patients calling you at all hours), but VIPomas are associated with watery diarrhea and hypokalemia—not ulcers.

“C,” glucagon, will not be of much help here. Glucagon over secretion results in hyperglycemia and anemia.

“D,” somatostatin, is a hormone that inhibits the secretion of gastrin and thus would be protective against ulcers. Somatostatin-secreting tumors are very rare.

3 comments:

  1. HOW I GOT RID OF MY HERPES Virus WITH THE HELP OF DR Aire.    Greetings to the general public, i want to inform the general public how i was cured of HERPES Simplex Virus by a Doctor called Dr Aire. i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and is Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how Doctor Dr Aire cured them. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took as instructed and it seriously worked for me, i am a free person now without problem, my HERPES result came out negative. I pray for you Dr Aire God will give you everlasting life, you shall not die before your time for being a sincere and great man. Am so happy, you can also contact him if you have any problem like HIV/AID, CANCER,HERPATITIS,DIABETES,HPV,INFECTION ETC. Reach him on his  Email Address at=== drairehome@gmail.com  or you can contact him on WHATSAPP FOR EASY ACCESS at +2347036740271

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was diagnosed of herpes virus, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor called Dr Agaba, who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including herpes virus (Herpes), when i contacted this herbal doctor via email, he sent me herpes virus herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured from the virus within 3 weeks of usage. Contact this great herbal doctor today to get your cure. 
    Via Email: Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486

    ReplyDelete
  3. “I invested with a Crypto broker without proper research to know what I was hoarding my hard-earned money into, only to find out it was a hoax and sham. I invested over $180,000 USD estimated to be 6.3 BTC. I was unable to make any withdrawals out of my initial deposits let alone the gains he claimed I have earned even after meeting the bogus fees and charges he is always requesting. Fortunately, I got to know about Perfect Hackers's Bitcoin recovery programmers through research and positive reviews on Google. After a couple of hours consulting with them, all my funds were recovered including my profits. I can’t thank these guys enough for making me not another prey to these scammers. Thank you Perfect Hackers. Consult them via: morriswhite789@cyberservices.com

    ReplyDelete