Saturday, September 26, 2015

A Case Of Sub Clinical Hypothyroidism

You are seeing a 45-year-old female in your office. As part of a routine blood panel, the patient’s TSH is noted to be elevated at 7.2 uIU/mL (0.27–4.20 uIU/mL). She has a normal free T4 and is asymptomatic. The best option is to:

A) Start levothyroxine at a low dose to normalize the TSH.
B) Begin T3 at a low dose.
C) Reassure the patient and have her follow-up for repeat thyroid studies.
D) Begin a workup for central hypothyroidism.
E) Begin methimazole.

Answer:



The correct answer is “C.  "Reassure the patient and have her follow-up for repeat thyroid studies."

Discussion There is convincing evidence that asymptomatic patients with a mildly elevated TSH (generally <10 uIU/mL) and normal free T4 do not benefit from treatment in terms of quality of life, etc. In fact, treated patients tend to have more symptomatic anxiety.
The term for this condition (asymptomatic, TSH between 5 and 10, and normal free T4) is subclinical hypothyroidism.
Follow-up thyroid studies are indicated, although the interval may differ depending on the clinician’s judgment. Of note, many patients will have transient changes in their thyroid hormone levels due to comorbid illness, viral thyroiditis, etc. The thing to do is recheck rather than start treatment.

4 comments:

  1. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis   

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW I GOT RID OF MY HERPES Virus WITH THE HELP OF DR Aire.    Greetings to the general public, i want to inform the general public how i was cured of HERPES Simplex Virus by a Doctor called Dr Aire. i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and is Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how Doctor Dr Aire cured them. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took as instructed and it seriously worked for me, i am a free person now without problem, my HERPES result came out negative. I pray for you Dr Aire God will give you everlasting life, you shall not die before your time for being a sincere and great man. Am so happy, you can also contact him if you have any problem like HIV/AID, CANCER,HERPATITIS,DIABETES,HPV,INFECTION ETC. Reach him on his  Email Address at=== drairehome@gmail.com  or you can contact him on WHATSAPP FOR EASY ACCESS at +2347036740271

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnosed of herpes virus, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor called Dr Agaba, who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including herpes virus (Herpes), when i contacted this herbal doctor via email, he sent me herpes virus herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured from the virus within 3 weeks of usage. Contact this great herbal doctor today to get your cure. 
    Via Email: Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486

    ReplyDelete
  4. TN 12th Model Question Paper 2022 with Solutions Available Students you can Download in Pdf format form this web page below given links. HSC (+2) Regular and Private Students Prepare their Exam from these Sample Papers, Students have to Register for Appearing in Public Exam 2022. So if you are also among those students who have Registered them self as a Regular or Private Student are Suggested to Download TN 12th Model Paper 2022 these Tamil Nadu Board Plus two Sample Paper 2022 must Prepare all Subjects. Model Papers are very helpful Material that is Provided by the official education Board.

    ReplyDelete