Friday, July 14, 2017

A 66 year old woman presents with a history of weight loss - Case Study



History
A 66-year-old woman, a retired nurse, consults her general practitioner (GP) with a 4-month history of tiredness, slight breathlessness on exertion and loss of weight from 71 to 65 kg. Her appetite is unchanged and normal; she has no nausea or vomiting, but over the last 2 months she has had an altered bowel habit with constipation alternating with her usual and normal pattern. She has not seen any blood in her feces and has had no abdominal pain. She has had no post-menopausal bleeding. There is no relevant past or family history, and she is on no medication.
She has smoked 20 cigarettes daily for 48 years and drinks 20–28 units of alcohol a week.

Examination
She has slight pallor but otherwise looks well. No lymphadenopathy is detected, and her breasts, thyroid, heart, chest and abdomen, including rectal examination, are all normal.
The blood pressure is 148/90 mmHg.

Investigations: 

  • Haemoglobin = 10.1 g/dL (normal = 11.7–15.7 g/dL)
  • Mean corpuscular volume (MCV) = 76 fL (normal = 80–99 fL)
  • White cell count = 4.9 × 109/L (normal = 3.5–11.0 × 109/L)
  • Platelets = 277 × 109/L  (normal = 150–440 × 109/L)
  • Sodium = 142 mmol/L  (normal = 135–145 mmol/L)
  • Potassium = 4.4 mmol/L  (normal = 3.5–5.0 mmol/L)
  • Urea  = 5.2 mmol/L  (normal = 2.5–6.7 mmol/L)
  • Creatinine = 106 μmol/L  (normal = 70–120 μmol/L)
  • Urinalysis: no protein, no blood
  • Blood film shows a microcytic hypochromic picture.

Questions
• What is the most likely diagnosis?
• How would you investigate the patient?

Case Discussion:
The investigations show a microcytic, hypochromic anaemia. In a premenopausal woman the most likely cause would be excessive menstrual blood loss. In men or postmenopausal women the most likely cause would be loss from the gastrointestinal tract. This woman has an altered bowel habit, which suggests a problem with the lower gastrointestinal tract and a diagnosis of carcinoma of the colon, which would also explain her weight loss. 

Carcinoma of the colon is increasing in frequency. If it presents at an early stage, then the prospect for cure is good. Rectal bleeding, alteration in bowel habit for longer than 1 month at any age, or iron-deficient anaemia in men or postmenopausal women are indications for investigation of the gastrointestinal tract. In younger people there may be a hereditary element
to carcinoma of the colon.
Smoking is a risk factor for carcinoma of the colon.

Followup of the patient in this case: 
A barium enema revealed a neoplasm in the sigmoid colon, confirmed by colonoscopy and biopsy. Chest X-ray and abdominal ultrasound showed no pulmonary metastases and no intra-abdominal
lymphadenopathy or hepatic metastases, respectively.
She proceeded to a sigmoid colectomy and end-to-end anastomosis and was regularly followed- up for any evidence of recurrence. Histology showed a grade I tumor.

Key Learning Points:
• Carcinoma of the colon can present with few or no symptoms or signs in the gastrointestinal tract.
• Unexplained iron deficiency anemia warrants investigation of the upper and lower gastrointestinal tract.



11 comments:

  1. 2 WEEKS AGO I ENDED NATURAL HERBAL TREATMENT FROM TRADITIONAL HEALER WHO IS IN AFRICAN, I GOT RID OF HPV VIRUS OUT OF MY BODY WITH HIS HERBAL TREATMENT. It SO AMAZING I'M FREE FROM THIS VIRUS FOREVER. YOU CAN REACH HIM ON; DRONOKUNHERBALCURE@GMAIL.COM

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis   

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Can't still believe that i got cured from Genital Herpes through herbal treatment from Dr Oyagu who I met through the internet, I actually couldn't believe it at first because it sounded impossible to me knowing how far I have gone just to get rid of it. Dr Oyagu send me his medicine which I took as instructed and here I am living a happy life once again, a big thanks to Dr Oyagu, I am sure there are many herbal doctors out there but Dr Oyagu did it for me, contact him oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com , also call or whatsApp him on +2348101755322

    ReplyDelete
  4. A grate testimony about how i got my Genital Herpes cured a month ago. i have been reading so many comments of some people who were cured from various diseases by Dr Isibor but i never believed them. I was hurt and depressed so I was too curious and wanted to try Dr Isibor, then i contacted him through his email when i contact him, he assured me 100% that he will heal me, i pleaded with him to help me out. My treatment was a great success, he healed me just as he promised. he sent me his medication and ask me to go for check up after 2 weeks of taking the medication. i agreed with him i took this medication and went for check up after a month later , to my greatest surprise my result was negative after the treatment, i am really happy that i am cured and healthy again. I have waited for 2weeks to be very sure i was completely healed before writing this testimony. I did another blood test one week ago and it was still Herpes negative. so i guess its time i recommend anyone going through Herpes Hepatitis B,  reach him through his email;drisiborspellhome@gmail.com or call him on +2348110493039

    ReplyDelete
  5. Investing online has been a main source of income,that's why knowledge plays a very important role in humanity,you don't need to over work yourself for money.All you need is the right information,and you could build your own wealth from the comfort of your home!Binary trading is dependent on timely signals,assets or controlled strategies which when mastered increases chance of winning up to 90%-100% with trading. It’s possible to earn $10,000 to $20,000 trading weekly-monthly,just file a complaint with  Robert,I had almost given up on everything about binary trading and ever getting my lost funds back,till i met with him,with his help now i have my lost funds back to my bank account and I can now trade successfully with his profitable strategies and software!! Email: Robertseaman939@gmail.com or Fb.me/investandmakemoney1 or  whatsApp: +44 7466 770724

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am happy to recommend dr Godday for his great help, i suffered for years seeking for the cure of herpes virus. i came across a testimony about his herbal medicine and i contacted him and he sent me a herbal remedy. I am happy to say that i am cured and negative of herpes virus type2. A doctor with many health experience and has many herbal medicine for most of the diseases you believed that had no cures. He has herbal remedies for Cancer, Herpes virus, Lime, Hepatitis and Kidney disease Contact him on his Email: goddayspiritualhome@gmail.com or Whats app only +1{919}4956404

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to thank Dr Patrick a very powerful spell caster who help me to bring my husband back to me, few month ago i have a serious problem with my husband, to the extent that he left the house, and he started dating another woman and he stayed with the woman, i tried all i can to bring him back, but all my effort was useless until the day my friend came to my house and i told her every thing that had happened between me and my husband, then she told me of a powerful spell caster who help her when she was in the same problem I then contact Dr Patrick and told him everything and he told me not to worry my self again that my husband will come back to me after he has cast a spell on him, i thought it was a joke, after he had finish casting the spell, he told me that he had just finish casting the spell, to my greatest surprise within 48 hours, my husband really came back begging me to forgive him, if you need his help you can contact him with via email: drpatrickspellcaster@gmail.com or add him up on his whatsapp +1 662 493 2087 is willing to help anybody that needs his help.
    https://sabachaudhry1.blogspot.com/
    https://drpatrickspellcast.blogspot.com
    https://www.facebook.com/Drpatrickspellcaster11

    ReplyDelete
  9. DO YOU NEED A PERSONAL/BUSINESS/INVESTMENT LOAN? CONTACT US TODAY VIA WhatsApp +19292227023 Email drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    HELLO
    Loan Offer Alert For Everyone! Are you financially down and you need an urgent credit/financial assistance? Or are you in need of a loan to start-up/increase your business or buy your dream house. Are you in search of a legit loan? Tired of Seeking Loans and Mortgages? Have you been turned down by your banks? Have you also been scammed once? Have you lost money to scammers or to Binary Options and Cryptocurrency Trading, We will help you recover your lost money and stolen bitcoin by our security FinanceRecovery Team 100% secured, If you are in financial pains consider your financial trauma over. We Offer LOANS from $3,000.00 Min. to $30,000,000.00 Max. at 2% interest rate NO MATTER YOUR CREDIT SCORE. GET YOUR INSTANT LOAN APPROVAL 100% GUARANTEED TODAY VIA WhatsApp:+19292227023 Email: drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com


    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing helpful blog, Global Platter is one of the Food Stylist and Best food photographer in Delhi and NCR area. She specializes in Food, Product and Commercial Photography.

    Professional Food Photographer in Delhi
    Best Product Photographer in Delhi

    ReplyDelete