Thursday, May 18, 2017

Mitral Stenosis - Case Study With Questions & Answers



A 32-year-old woman who recently moved to the United States from Mexico is seen because of the recent onset of palpitations associated with dyspnea on exertion, orthopnea, and paroxysmal nocturnal dyspnea with hemoptysis.
On physical examination, her blood pressure is 112/90 mm Hg and her heart rate is 120 per minute and irregularly irregular. Jugular venous distention to 10cm H2O with a prominent V w ave is noted, as are diminished arterial pulses and bibasilar rales (up to half of the lung fields bilaterally). Additional findings include a nondisplaced apex beat, a right ventricular heave palpable in the left
parasternal region, a palpable pulmonic closure sound in the second left intercostal space, an accentuated S4, a loud pulmonic second sound (P2) over the left ventricular apex, a snapping sound over the left ventricular apex impulse just after the second heart sound, and a grade 3/4, low -pitched,
rumbling, nearly holodiastolic murmur heard best at the cardiac apex. There is 1 to 2+ pitting edema noted in the lower extremities and presacral area.

1. What is the most likely valvular lesion in this patient?
2. What is the most common cause of mitral stenosis in adult patients?
3. What is the mortality rate associated with medically treated mitral stenosis?
4. What are the major complications of mitral stenosis?
5. What is the best treatment for symptomatic patients with mitral stenosis?

Answers:



1. What is the most likely valvular lesion in this patient?
The clinical picture exhibited by this patient is characteristic of severe mitral stenosis with secondary pulmonary hypertension and cor pulmonale.

The severity of the mitral stenosis is indicated by the mitral opening snap, which closely follows the second heart sound and the holodiastolic rumble. The
mitral opening snap is a characteristic sign of mitral stenosis and appears to be due to a sudden tensing of the valve leaflets after the valve cusps have completed their opening excursions, and occurs shortly after (0.08 to 0.12 second) the aortic component of the second heart sound. The mitral opening snap moves closer to the second heart sound as the pressure between the left atrium and left ventricle increases. The rumbling, low -pitched diastolic murmur heard at the apex is characteristic of mitral stenosis. The duration of the murmur throughout diastole indicates that there is a pressure gradient across the mitral valve throughout diastole.

Pulmonary hypertension is indicated by the loud pulmonic component of the second heart sound and right ventricular heave. A P2 that can be heard at the left ventricular apex indicates pulmonary hypertension.

Cor pulmonale is reflected by the elevated neck veins, and peripheral edema. The large V wave indicates tricuspid regurgitation—a result of the pulmonary hypertension and cor pulmonale. Paroxysmal nocturnal dyspnea with hemoptysis is a major clue to this diagnosis and reflects a sudden increase in pulmonary capillary pressure with intraalveolar edema and hemorrhage such as might occur with exercise or new onset of atrial fibrillation.

2. What is the most common cause of mitral stenosis in adult patients?
Mitral stenosis in adults is almost exclusively due to rheumatic heart disease. This patient described a prolonged illness at 12 years of age consistent with acute rheumatic fever but half of all patients with rheumatic mitral stenosis will not have a clear childhood history of rheumatic fever.

3. What is the mortality rate associated with medically treated mitral stenosis?
From the time of the initial diagnosis, patients w ith medically treated mitral stenosis can expect a mortality rate of 20% at 5 years and 40% at 10 years.
This patient faces a much less favorable prognosis because of her pulmonary hypertension and right ventricular HF. How ever, the risk is significantly reduced if she undergoes valve replacement, commissurotomy, or mitral balloon valvotomy.

4. What are the major complications of mitral stenosis?
In patients with uncorrected mitral stenosis, there is a 20% lifetime risk of thromboembolism. This is often a devastating complication because the embolus most often travels to the brain, resulting in a stroke. Eighty percent of patients with systemic emboli are in atrial fibrillation. This risk is decreased by the use of anticoagulant therapy with sodium warfarin.
Infective endocarditis occurs less frequently but may be a disastrous complication.
Atrial fibrillation is a common complication of mitral stenosis. The left atrium is often very large due to a combination of rheumatic involvement of the atrial muscle and the high left atrial pressures, predisposing to atrial fibrillation.

5. What is the best treatment for symptomatic patients with mitral stenosis?
Options for correction of mitral stenosis include percutaneous transvenous mitral valvuloplasty, surgical mitral commissurotomy, or mitral valve repair.

In balloon valvuloplasty, the balloon is passed from the femoral vein to the right atrium, across the atrial septum, and across the mitral valve. The balloon is inflated, cracking open the valve. This is the preferred procedure in experienced hands if the valve anatomy is favorable and there are no
contraindications.

Results are also good with surgical commissurotomy or mitral valve replacement.

6 comments:

  1. i never believed that their could be any complete cure for fibroid with out going for surgery ,i saw people’s testimony on blog sites how Dr Onokun prepare herbal cure for different king of disease,and with the help of his herb they where able to shrink there fibroid naturally. i had to try it too and you can,t believe that in just few weeks i started using it all my pains stop gradually . Right now i want to tell you all that i just give birth to a baby boy last month,and on thin now i have not had any pain, and i have just went for text last week and the doctor confirmed that there is no trace of any fibroid in my system . Glory be to God for leading me to this great Dr onokun I am so happy as i am sharing this testimony. My advice to you all who thinks that their is no herbal cure for fibroid that is Not true ,just contact him and get cure through his email: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com or whats-app: +2349064844957

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW I GOT CURED FROM HPV WARTS VIRUS
    Dr.Omohan herbal medicine is a good remedy for HPV WARTS , I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HPV WARTS cure and i saw comment of people talking about how Dr.Omohan cure them from HPV WARTS, I decided to contact, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I’m cured by Dr.Omohan herbal medicine, I’m very thankful to Dr.Omohan, reach him on dromohanherbalmedicine@gmail.com WHATSAPP HIM VIA +2348164816038.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got married to my lovely husband for the past 7 years without conceiving and fibroid was the issue, i took different prescribed medication but could not cure it but my husband was so confident in me and kept encouraging me that one day someone would call me mother, we did not rest searching for solution from different Doctors all they could say was surgery and i was afraid of that then a friend in my office introduced me to Dr.onokun who sent his product to me which i took and it really worked perfectly, and my Doc. confirmed me pregnant after 2 weeks of taken his product. You can contact him on email: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com or whats-app: +2349064844957

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got married to my lovely husband for the past 7 years without conceiving and fibroid was the issue, i took different prescribed medication but could not cure it but my husband was so confident in me and kept encouraging me that one day someone would call me mother, we did not rest searching for solution from different Doctors all they could say was surgery and i was afraid of that then a friend in my office introduced me to Dr.onokun who sent his product to me which i took and it really worked perfectly, and my Doc. confirmed me pregnant after 2 weeks of taken his product. You can contact him on email: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com or whats-app: +2349064844957

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a sign of gratitude for how my wife was saved from fibroid, i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My wife suffered from fibroid for more than 20 year of marriage after our first son and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because she was my all and the symptoms were terrible, she had irregular and painful menstrual flow and the size of it was 5cm, and she always complain of stomach pain. we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure her. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and she left the contact of the doctor who had the natural cure to fibroid. I never imagined fibroid has a natural cure if not surgery not until i contacted him and he assured me my wife will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my wife used it as instructed by Dr Godstime, and in one months time we went to the hospital for scan and the doctor confirmed that there is no trace of fibroid and now she is fully okay, even up till this moment she is so full of life. fibroid has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on: Drgodstimehealinghome@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2349063469910 on how to get his medication.  

    ReplyDelete
  6. An amazing testimony on how i conceive and also get cure from my fibroid permanently with his natural herbs , i wonder why people still don't believe that roots and herbs are very essential and fruitful in different aspect, especially when you can't conceive and bear children. I am a living witness because I tried all I could to be pregnant but all to no avail, on this faithful day, i decided to check the net for updates on healthy living and i came across testimonies of lot of women who Dr Onokun has helped with his native herbs to conceive. i decided to put a try because this has been my greatest problem in life so I emailed Dr Onokun, and he told me what to do which i did, after which he sent me some roots and herbs syrup and gave me step by step guild lines on how and when to have sex with my man. I missed my menstrual flow within a short period of taking it, and the doctor confirmed that I am pregnant. I am very glad to tell the world that I just put to bed a bouncing baby boy last week. Contact Dr Onokun for your own testimony on: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com Or WhatsApp: +2349064844957  

    ReplyDelete