Thursday, September 29, 2016

Supplements That Can Reduce The Risk Of Falls In Elderly Patients.



Which of the following is associated with reducing the risk of falls in elderly patients?

A) Vitamin C
B) Vitamin D
C) Folate
D) Vitamin B12
E) Calcium

Answer and Discussion

The answer is B. (Vitamin D)

Falls are a major cause of injury-related visits to emergency departments in the United States and the primary cause of accidental deaths in persons older than 65 years. The mortality rate for falls increases dramatically with age in both sexes and in all racial and ethnic groups. Falls can be an indication of poor health and declining function, and they are often associated with significant morbidity.
More than 90% of hip fractures occur as a result of falls, with most of these fractures occurring in
persons older than 70 years of age.

Risk factors for falls in the elderly include:

  • increasing age, 
  • arthritis, 
  • medication use (more than four medications, including tricyclic antidepressants, neuroleptics, benzodiazepines, and type IA antiarrythmics), 
  • cognitive impairment (dementia and depression), and 
  • sensory deficits. 
Outpatient evaluation of a patient who has fallen includes a focused history with an emphasis on
medications, a directed physical examination, and tests of postural control and overall physical function.
Treatment is directed at the underlying cause of the fall, with the goal to return the patient to baseline function.
Vitamin D deficiency has been associated with an increased risk of falls, and empiric supplementation can reduce the risk.

1 comment:

  1. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis   

    ReplyDelete