Monday, November 27, 2017

Nausea And Weight Loss In A 45 Year old Alcoholic... Case Study



A 45 years old man consults his general practitioner (GP) with a 6-month history of reduced appetite
and a weight loss, from 78 to 71 kg. During the last 3 months he has had intermittent nausea, especially in the mornings, and in the last 3 months the morning nausea has been accompanied by vomiting on several occasions. For 1 month he has noted swelling of his ankles. Despite his weight loss he has recently noticed his trousers getting tighter. He has had no abdominal pain. He has no relevant past history and knows no family history as he was adopted.
He takes no medication. From the age of 18 he has smoked 5–6 cigarettes daily and drunk 15–20 units of alcohol per week. He has been a chef all his working life, without exception in fashionable restaurants. He now lives alone as his wife left him 1 year ago.

Examination
He has plethoric features. There is pitting oedema of his ankles. He appears to have lost weight from his limbs, but not his trunk. He has nine spider naevi on his upper trunk.
His pulse is normal, and the rate is 92/min. His jugular venous pressure (JVP) is not raised, and his blood pressure is 146/84 mmHg.
The cardiovascular and respiratory systems are normal.
The abdomen is distended. He has no palpable masses, but there is shifting dullness and a fluid thrill

Investigations: 
Haemoglobin = 12.6 g/dL (normal = 13.3–17.7 g/dL)
White cell count = 10.2 × 109/L (normal = 3.9–10.6 × 109/L)
Platelets = 121 × 109/L (normal = 150–440 × 109/L)
Sodium = 131 mmol/L (normal = 135–145 mmol/L)
Potassium = 4.2 mmol/L(normal = 3.5–5.0 mmol/L)
Urea = 2.2 mmol/L (normal = 2.5–6.7 mmol/L)
Creatinine  = 101 μmol/L (normal = 70–120 μmol/L)
Total protein = 48 g/L (normal = 60–80 g/L)
Albumin = 26 g/L (normal = 35–50 g/L)
Bilirubin =  25 mmol/L (normal = 3–17 mmol/L)
Alanine transaminase = 276 IU/L (normal = 5–35 IU/L)
Gamma-glutamyl transaminase = 873 IU/L (normal = 11–51 IU/L)
Alkaline phosphatase = 351 IU/L (normal = 30–300 IU/L)
International normalised ratio (INR) = 1.4 (normal = 0.9–1.2)

Urinalysis: no protein; no blood

• What is the diagnosis?
• How would you manage this patient?


Answer and Discussion:
This man has signs of chronic liver disease with ascites and oedema. The number of spider naevi is more than the accepted normal of three. The most common cause of chronic liver disease is alcohol. He is at increased risk of alcohol misuse because he works in the catering business. His symptoms of morning nausea and vomiting are typical of alcohol misuse.
Chronic alcohol excess would account for his cushingoid appearance due to the increases of adrenocorticotrophic hormone [ACTH] secretion). Macrocytic anaemia can be due to dietary folate deficiency or the direct toxic action of alcohol on the bone marrow. The rise in bilirubin is insufficient to cause jaundice. The low serum albumin and raised international normalised ratio (INR) may be due to impaired synthetic function of clotting factors produced by the liver. Thrombocytopenia may be from platelet sequestration in an enlarged spleen as a result of portal hypertension from liver cirrhosis.
However, his alcohol intake is too low to be consistent with the diagnosis of alcoholic liver disease. When the provisional diagnosis is discussed with him, though, he eventually admits that his alcohol intake has been at least 40–50 units per week for the last 20 years. His alcohol intake has increased further during the last year after his marriage had ended.

Further investigations include the measurement of hepatitis viral serology, which was negative, and an ultrasound of the abdomen. Ultrasound showed moderate ascites, a slight reduction
in liver size and an increase in splenic length of 2–3 cm. There was no evidence of a hepatoma. These findings indicate that portal hypertension has developed.

The crucial aim in management is to impress upon the patient the necessity to stop drinking alcohol and to affect this by attending an alcohol addiction unit.

  • Acute management should include an alcohol withdrawal regimen with diazepam or chlordiazepoxide to reduce the risk of withdrawal seizures.
  • Attention needs to be paid to nutrition. 
  • Intravenous thiamine should be given to prevent Wernicke’s encephalopathy. 
  • Vitamin K is used to correct clotting abnormalities. 
  • An ascitic tap should be performed to exclude spontaneous bacterial peritonitis (which maybe asymptomatic). 
  • Treatment of ascites includes a low sodium diet and spironolactone.
  • Daily weights should be used to measure fluid losses. 
  • Therapeutic paracentesis with concomitant albumin infusion can be used if the ascites is diuretic resistant or very uncomfortable. 
  • Surveillance endoscopy and banding of oesophageal varices should be considered in this patient, as there is evidence of portal hypertension. 
  • If oesophageal varices are present, propranolol can be used to reduce portal hypertension and prevent further variceal formation.
Followup: 
In this patient attendance at the addiction unit was fitful; he continued to drink heavily, and he died 3 years later a result of a second bleed from oesophageal varices

Learning Points In This Case Study

• Patients who drink excessive amounts of alcohol will often disguise this fact in their history
• Alcoholic liver disease has a poor prognosis if the alcohol intake is not terminated.

14 comments:

  1. StamiMax Skipping either them can lead to in muscle tears and injuries. So there you have it if acquired a minute of tummy sag or a pretty hefty spare Tyre its not really challenging to erase it. Expend more energy than you consume. http://jackedmuscleextremeadvice.com/stamimax/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ADD DR PERFECT ON WHATSAPP +1 (256)-251-3614 AND GET A CURE TO ANY TYPE OF DISEASES AND VIRUS

      I'm so happy and excited to give my testimony of how I was cure of herpes virus. I'm Karen Wilson from Paris France I was diagnosed with herpes virus for 6 years, I took every drugs prescribed to me by the doctors but there was no positive result, so I decided to try if I can find a cure for my herpes online and I saw different people's comments on how Dr Perfect helped them to cure their diseases and viruses I message him urgently on WhatsApp it's didn't take long he replied my message and we talked on how I can get the cure and he told me he will send the cure to me, in four days time the cure was delivered to my house and he gave me instruction on how I will use it, 17 days later there was no sign of herpes in my body then I went for test and the doctor told me he couldn't find any sign of herpes virus in my blood. Dr Perfect herbal cure is the best don't think because he cured me of herpes virus and you are diagnosed with Hepatitis or other virus he can't cure you, Dr Perfect can cure all types of diseases and virus. If you need a cure for your disease and virus WhatsApp him +1 (256)-251-3614 if you are not on WhatsApp email him at solutiontoallproblems1@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. Alanine transaminase (ALT) is a transaminase enzyme. It is also called alanine aminotransferase (ALAT) and was formerly called serum glutamate-pyruvate transaminase (SGPT) or serum glutamic-pyruvic transaminase (SGPT). ALT is found in plasma and in various body tissues, but is most common in the liver. alanine transaminase

    ReplyDelete
  3. We tried to get pregnant for a few years in a local clinic. There were no results. We've tried everything possible but nothing. We were recommended to use donor eggs. I knew we have to try herbal made medicine. I was terrified. I didn't know how to go about it and where to begin my search. When my friend recommended me to Dr Itua herbal medicine in Western African. I thought she was joking. I knew nothing about that country and I was afraid with shame I must say I thought it was a little bit...wild? Anyway she convinced me to at least check it out. I've done the research and thought that maybe this really is a good idea. Dr Itua has reasonable prices. Also it has high rates of successful treatments. Plus it uses Natural Herbs. Well I should say I was convinced. I and My Husband give a try and now we can say it was the best decision in our lives. We were trying for so long to have a child and suddenly it all looked so simple. The doctors and staff were so confident and hopeful they projected those feelings on me too. I am so happy to be a mother and eternally thankful to Dr Itua and Lori My Dear Friend. Don’t be afraid and just do it! Try Dr itua herbal medicine today and sees different in every situaton.Dr Itua Contact Info...Whatsapp+2348149277967/drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Dr Itua have cure for the following diseases.All types of cancer,Liver/Kidney inflamatory,Fibroid,Infertility.Diabetes,Herpes Virus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiv disease for the last 3 years and had pain hard to eat and cough are nightmares,especially the first year At this stage, the immune system is severely weakened, and the risk of contracting opportunistic infections is much greater. However, not everyone with HIV will go on to develop AIDS. The earlier you receive treatment, the better your outcome will be.I started taking ARV to avoid early death but I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.As a Hiv patent we are advise to be taking antiretroviral treatments to reduce our chance of transmitting the virus to others , few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information on Hiv treatment with herbal medicine, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Hiv her name was Achima Abelard and other Herpes Virus patent Tasha Moore also giving testimony about this same man,Called Dr Itua Herbal Center.I was moved by the testimony and i contacted him by his Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com We chatted and he send me a bottle of herbal medicine I drank it as he instructed me to.After drinking it he ask me to go for a test that how i ended my suffering life of Hiv patent,I'm cured and free of Arv Pills.I'm forever grateful to him Drituaherbalcenter.Here his contact Number +2348149277967...He assure me he can cure the following disease..Hiv,Cancer,Herpes Virus,Lyme Disease,Epilepsy, ,Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Lupus,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer, fibromyalgia ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome,Liver/Kidney Inflammatory,Men/Woman infertility, bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid...

    ReplyDelete
  5. ADD DR PERFECT ON WHATSAPP +1 (256)-251-3614 AND GET A CURE TO ANY TYPE OF DISEASES AND VIRUS

    I'm so happy and excited to give my testimony of how I was cure of herpes virus. I'm Karen Wilson from Paris France I was diagnosed with herpes virus for 6 years, I took every drugs prescribed to me by the doctors but there was no positive result, so I decided to try if I can find a cure for my herpes online and I saw different people's comments on how Dr Perfect helped them to cure their diseases and viruses I message him urgently on WhatsApp it's didn't take long he replied my message and we talked on how I can get the cure and he told me he will send the cure to me, in four days time the cure was delivered to my house and he gave me instruction on how I will use it, 17 days later there was no sign of herpes in my body then I went for test and the doctor told me he couldn't find any sign of herpes virus in my blood. Dr Perfect herbal cure is the best don't think because he cured me of herpes virus and you are diagnosed with Hepatitis or other virus he can't cure you, Dr Perfect can cure all types of diseases and virus. If you need a cure for your disease and virus WhatsApp him +1 (256)-251-3614 if you are not on WhatsApp email him at solutiontoallproblems1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Esteems,

    We are Offering best Global Financial Service rendered to the general public with maximum satisfaction,maximum risk free. Do not miss this opportunity. Join the most trusted financial institution and secure a legitimate financial empowerment to add meaning to your life/business.

    Contact Dr. James Eric Firm via
    Email: fastloanoffer34@gmail.com
    https://urgentloanoffer22.blogspot.com/
    Whatsapp +918929509036
    Best Regards,
    Dr. James Eric.
    Executive Investment
    Consultant./Mediator/Facilitator

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have long felt a special connection with herbal medicine. First, it's natural, Charlie attended the same small college in Southern California - Claremont Men's College - although he dropped out of school to enroll in the Julliard School of Performing Arts in New York. York. Had he been to Claremont, he would have been senior the year I started there; I often thought that was the reason he was gone when he discovered that I had herpes. So, my life was lonely, all day, I could not stand the pain of the outbreak, and then Tasha introduced me to Dr. Itua who uses her herbal medicines to cure her two weeks of consumption. I place an order for him and he hands it to my post office, then I pick it up and use it for two weeks. All my wound is completely healed no more epidemic. I tell you honestly that this man is a great man, I trust him Herbal medicine so much that I share this to show my gratitude and also to let sick people know that there is hope with Dr. Itua. Herbal Phytotherapy.Dr Itua Contact Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/Whatsapp ... 2348149277967
    He cures.
    Herpes,
    Prostate
    Breast Cancer
    Brain Cancer
    CEREBRAL VASCULAR ACCIDENT.
    ,Endomertil Cancer, cerebrovascular diseases
    Hepatitis,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Tach Disease,Shingles,
    Lung Cancer, Leukemia Lymphoma Cancer,
    Lung Mesothelioma Asbestos,
    Ovarian Cervical Uterine Cancer,
    Skin Cancer, Brain Tumor,
    H.P.V TYPE 1 TYPE 2 TYPE 3 AND TYPE 4. TYPE 5.
    HIV,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Cervical Cancer
    Colo-rectal Cancer
    Blood Cancer
    SYPHILIS.
    Diabetes
    Liver / Inflammatory kidney
    Epilepsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. IMC Business along with Dr. Himanshu presents a compelling view of Cirrhosis of the liver and its treatment. This presentation is for those who seek to understand more about the progression of liver disease and its stages.

    Cirrhosis of the liver

    ReplyDelete
  9. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis   

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am very grateful sharing this great testimonies with you, The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how i win the lottery. I am a woman who believe that one day i will win the lottery.finally my dreams came through when i email Dr Padman . and tell him i need the lottery numbers. i have come a long way spending money on ticket just to make sure i win. But i never know that winning was so easy until the day i meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, so i decide to give it a try.I contacted this man and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out i was among winners. i win 1.900.000 million Dollar. Dr Padman truly you are the best, with these man you can will millions of money through lottery. i am so very happy to meet these man, i will forever be grateful to you. Email him for your own winning lottery numbers padmanlovespell@yahoo.com. OR Whatsapp or WhatsApp +19492293867 Website: https://padmanspell.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I visit your blog regularly and recommend it to all of those who wanted to enhance their knowledge with ease. The style of writing is excellent and also the content is top-notch. Thanks for that shrewdness you provide the readers! 什麼是陽痿

    ReplyDelete
  12. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete