Wednesday, September 27, 2017

A 40 Year old patient presenting with nausea, vomiting and abnormal liver function tests...



A 40-year-old school teacher develops nausea and vomiting at the beginning of the fall semester. Over the summer she had taught preschool children in a small town in Mexico. She is sexually active, but has not used intravenous drugs and has not received blood products.
Physical examination reveals scleral icterus, right upper quadrant tenderness, and a palpable liver. Liver function tests show aspartate aminotransferase of 750 U/L (normal < 40) and alanineaminotransferase of 1020 U/L (normal < 45). The bilirubin is 13 mg/dL (normal < 1.4) and the alkaline phosphatase is normal.

What further diagnostic test is most likely to be helpful?
a. Liver biopsy
b. Abdominal ultrasound
c. IgM antibody to hepatitis A
d. Antibody to hepatitis B surface antigen
e. Determination of hepatitis C RNA

Answer:
C: IgM antibody to hepatitis A

Discussion: This patient has evidence for acute hepatitis as is suggested by the history, physical examination and laboratory data showing hepatocellular injury.
The epidemiology favors acute hepatitis A; the patient’s history of travel to Mexico and work as a teacher are risk factors for hepatitis A. The incubation period of about one month is also typical.

Hepatitis B and C are less likely without evidence for drug abuse or blood transfusion. Antibody to hepatitis B surface antigen would not be evidence for acute hepatitis B.

HCV RNA is the appropriate test for acute hepatitis C infection, but this disease typically causes mild transaminase elevation and rarely presents with icterus..

Liver biopsy is not indicated in acute hepatitis as the diagnosis is usually apparent from the examination, liver enzymes, and serological evidence of recent viral infection.

Abdominal ultrasound would not be helpful as liver enzymes suggest hepatocellular damage, not biliary obstruction

10 comments:

  1. ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS
    I was diagnosed of hepatitis B in 2011, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor , who prepare herbal medicine to cure different kind of diseases including hepatitis b virus (HBV), when i contacted this herbal doctor via his email, he sent me hepatitis b herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured from this disease within 1 months of usage. any body with similar problem can Contact this great herbal doctor via his email drwilliams098675@gmail.com for advice and for his product,and thanks to you admin for such an informative blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "With Dr Williams,herbal medicine I felt very empowered after i started his medication and the results came very quickly I might add. Contrary to what my doctor had recommended for my health, (that hepatitis b have no permanent cure) I have succeeded in less than 4 weeks to treat all the symptoms associated with my hepatitis b (including the abdomen, dark urine and itching ) and within 4 weeks, i was completely cured from hepatitis b . Thank you so much for this terrific publication. and also i have recently experienced a symptom-free of of swollen blood vessels in the skin , which was nothing short of remarkable, considering the awful state i was in before I was introduced to dr williams life changing medication,for more information on how to get his medicine you can email him in drwilliam098675@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dubai is one of the seven emirates of United Arab Emirates and is a standout amongst the most went by places. best stethoscope

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my very own understanding, I've met individuals who've restored lupus, sent their malignancies into abatement, disposed of. keto meal plan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks this post really opened my eyes. It is not only eye opening rather very beneficial for the people those who want to do something good in his life.
    buy liver supplements online

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dr williams is fraud he took from me
    £260/- for tinitus medicines but never send me medicines
    I send him money through money gram and he received money in UAE I have documentry evidences
    I am in london uk my email (husein005@hotmail.com)
    I am tinitus sufferer pls pls for God sake be carefull this address (drwilliams098675@gmail.com)is FRAUD on some pages
    I seen he comes with 098765,ALL ABOVE IF YOU OBSERVE THOROUGHLY SAME NAMES ON DIFFERENT WEB PAGES RECOMENDING DRWILLIAMS098675@GMAIL.COM
    ON DIFFERENT DISEASES THIS ALL SCAM

    ReplyDelete
  7. IMC Business along with Dr. Himanshu presents a compelling view of Cirrhosis of the liver and its treatment. This presentation is for those who seek to understand more about the progression of liver disease and its stages.

    Cirrhosis of the liver

    ReplyDelete
  8. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis   

    ReplyDelete
  9. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete